Add VHDX support

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
AcidHorse

Re: Add VHDX support

Post by AcidHorse »

mpack wrote:I have personal experience of implementing a VHD parser, so I have no need to rely on hearsay. And I re-checked my sources before making my previous post. I am correct.
https://www.tactig.com/wp-content/uploa ... d-Disk.jpg
Just saying
Via Disk Management MSC
If Microsoft says VHD is limited to 2048 GB then Microslop will make it limited to 2048 GB considering how they always find a way to screw everyone over.
AcidHorse

Post by AcidHorse »

mpack wrote:I have personal experience of implementing a VHD parser, so I have no need to rely on hearsay. And I re-checked my sources before making my previous post. I am correct.
If someone is out there implementing a VHD file format that supports virtual hard drives greater than 2040 GB then those 3rd party formats will not be supported by Microsoft and thus will not be usable for dual booting or possibly mounting on a host system.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Relevance? When did Microsoft support even become an issue on these forums?

In any case your comments are not supported by evidence. A very similar case is Microsoft's formatting tool arbitrarily limiting FAT32 partitions to 32GB. There is no technical reason for this, so I assume this just allows them to claim that exFAT supports larger volumes. However if you use a third party formatting tool then FAT32 works fine up to 2TB (or more if you want to fiddle with sector sizes). Microsoft code does not reject such a volume.
AcidHorse

Post by AcidHorse »

mpack wrote:Microsoft code does not reject such a volume.
With what you say at the end, Microsoft might allow that in old OS code in old systems but do you think they would allow it in future code?
Last edited by mpack on 1. May 2019, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Reduced quote to only relevant part. No need to quote entire post.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

AcidHorse wrote: With what you say at the end, Microsoft might allow that in old OS code in old systems but do you think they would allow it in future code?
Yes I do, because just as in the case of FAT32, the format is governed by a published specification. Failure to handle compliant input would be considered a serious bug.

But in the end, none of this really matters. I guess we'll cross any bridge when we come to it.
AcidHorse

Post by AcidHorse »

Well I've seen how they close open holes, an example would be the trick of MiniNT key in HKLM Software CurrentControlSet
in order to trick Windows 10 installer into thinking it's WinPE so that one can install Win10 to a VHD. With the Oct 2018 update ;and possibly ones before this reg trick, no longer works which shows Microsoft is actively making what they say apply.
Last edited by socratis on 2. May 2019, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
sebus

Post by sebus »

So is there a chance that VB will eventually support vhdx?
Any technical reason why it can not be so?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Didn't the preceding thread answer both those questions already? (1) "Maybe", (2) "No" (the lack of interest is commercial, not technical).

VirtualBox already has some semblance of a VHDX implementation, e.g. VBoxManage can convert to and from VHDX, but I don't know the extent of it because I have no use for VHDX. It remains unsupported however and I guess will remain that way until paying customers ask for it to be nailed down.
BryanESD-IT

Requesting VHDX Support!!!!

Post by BryanESD-IT »

Requesting support for VHDX files in your next build, for large hard drives with 4096 cluster size.

In my case, my host is a windows machine. So I use VHD files primarily, due to the fact that I can mount these in windows, and use with them Virtualbox. How ever VHD files do not work (in windows, or with virtualbox) on large drives greater that 2TB. Where as VHDX files will work on large drives. Also VHDX files are backward compatible with smaller drives, So if a VHDX file is on a smaller hard drive, it works fine, and would probably work with virtualbox too.

For all of us users out here! Please add support for VHDX storage files
Thank you
mpack
Site Moderator

Re: Requesting VHDX Support!!!!

Post by mpack »

Above post moved from the feedback topic, since this is certainly not feedback about the forums.
AcidHorse

Post by AcidHorse »

You can't boot a VDI file. Microsoft refuses to add support for VDI disk images to the BCD boot menu because VirtualBox refuses to add support for VHDx
LMAO. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

"I use often VHDX on my PC for dual boot VHDX based OSes." -- Another member on the forum

And that was in his first post and someone replied to him suggesting that he use VDI.
Well when you can figure out how to add VDI images to the BCD boot menu on a Windows 10/11 system lemme know.

"BOOTICE is capable of handling and processing disk image files, supported image formats: *.IMG, *.IMA, *.VHD, *.VHDX, *.VMDK."

Maybe ipauly.com could help.

Should we stop worrying about Intel/AMD CISC and just move on with ARM64 RISC?
Big Endian vs Little Endian?
Ford vs Chevy?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Merging BryanESD-IT's request to the topic Acidhorse was active in on the same subject.

VirtualBox's possibilities of adding VHDx are discussed from the OP.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

AcidHorse wrote:You can't boot a VDI file. Microsoft refuses to add support for VDI disk images to the BCD boot menu because VirtualBox refuses to add support for VHDx
Reference for either of these?

It seems like BS to me (not a first for this topic). E.g. I'm not aware that Microsoft has added boot support for any format not managed by Microsoft, nor would I expect them to, so the lack of VHDX support in VirtualBox is completely irrelevant to them (and us). Besides which VirtualBox does support VHD, which is supported by BCDBoot.

Your case is made weaker when you offer demonstrably false "facts", particularly those that can be safely dismissed after one second of thought.
AcidHorse

Post by AcidHorse »

mpack wrote:
AcidHorse wrote:You can't boot a VDI file. Microsoft refuses to add support for VDI disk images to the BCD boot menu because VirtualBox refuses to add support for VHDx
Reference for either of these?

It seems like BS to me (not a first for this topic). E.g. I'm not aware that Microsoft has added boot support for any format not managed by Microsoft, nor would I expect them to, so the lack of VHDX support in VirtualBox is completely irrelevant to them (and us). Besides which VirtualBox does support VHD, which is supported by BCDBoot.

Your case is made weaker when you offer demonstrably false "facts", particularly those that can be safely dismissed after one second of thought.
Yeah of course it was a joke. I forgot to add "jk" to the end of the sentence. It was just a "preaching to the choir" kind of moment. It was laughable.
However it seems that VHD is obsolete in the minds of Microsoft and it would take nothing for them to drop support for the VHD files and support only VHDx.
Which is pretty much how Microsoft does everyone these days by not adding any real new features but just rewriting (aka re-ordering) the underlying core essential functions and slapping a different name on it and saying its the newest latest technology. And quite similar to the neverending bug fixes and updates and anything else. "Nothing-quite-new" kind of situation.
WizardOfBox

Post by WizardOfBox »

I would love to see .vhdx support.

I'm currently sharing a VM between different devices, some of them running Hyper-V, some of them running VirtualBox. With .vhd this works just fine.

But Windows 11 needs a Gen 2 VM and will thus require .vhdx format.
Even though I'm thinking due to TPM requirement this may no longer work anyway...