Update Linux guest mount instructions

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
cluelesscoder

Update Linux guest mount instructions

Post by cluelesscoder »

It seems as if the explanation at 4.2.2. Guest Additions for Linux could use some work.

I found that these instructions worked for me - there's also this Stackexchange thread https://askubuntu.com/questions/321589/ ... ne-sandbox and I imagine there's more.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Update Linux guest mount instructions

Post by socratis »

cluelesscoder wrote:It seems as if the explanation at 4.2.2. Guest Additions for Linux could use some work.
Both the articles that you link to contain command-line (CLI) instruction on how to mount a CD in the guest. The manual simply says "mount the CD", as opposed to step-by-step instructions for the CLI case (remember there is always the GUI case). Is this what you're referring to?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cluelesscoder

Post by cluelesscoder »

Ah, yeah. I think it'd be good cover the CLI - these things are often used for servers.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

I don't think the manual can cover this sufficently because the instructions would differ for the various Linux distributions, depending on their way to automount or not and maybe different mountpoints. So the Virtualbox manual can only generally tell to "mount the DVD in the virtual drive according to your Linux distribution manuals".