Add networking diagrams and tables to documentation

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
vomlehn

Add networking diagrams and tables to documentation

Post by vomlehn »

This sort of seems obvious, but the complexity of networking has been increasing and that can kind of creep up on you, so:
  • * Add diagrams to show what connects to what. There should be at least two VMs and the names of various interfaces should correspond to names used in the commands used to set up the networking configuration.
    * A table to compare the capabilties of the various networking types, e.g.
    • * can it connect to the Internet
      * can it connect to other VMS,
      * can a VM connect to the host
      * what protocols work (or don't)
      * etc
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Add networking diagrams and tables to documentation

Post by socratis »

vomlehn wrote:This sort of seems obvious
Well, not to everyone that's not interested in using VMs for networking, but people can draw something like that, just by reading the manual:
[pre]+------------+-------------+-------------+----------------+----------------+
| | VM <-> Host | VM1 <-> VM2 | VM -> Internet | VM <- Internet |
+------------+-------------+-------------+----------------+----------------+
| HostOnly | Yes | Yes | No | No |
| Internal | No | Yes | No | No |
| Bridged | Yes | Yes | Yes | Yes |
| NAT | No | No | Yes | Port forward |
| NATService | No | Yes | Yes | Port forward |
+-----------+-------------+-------------+----------------+----------------+[/pre]

This takes too much space... ;)
But you're right up to a point. I "drew" that in order to help users understand better what the various modes do. I should have submitted it as a suggestion to improve the documentation to the bugtracker, but since I have it as a premade snippet, I never bothered...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.