OpenCl support in the future?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
FranceBB
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP x86

OpenCl support in the future?

Post by FranceBB »

Hi!
I know that VirtualBox is an Oracle product and that Oracle focuses on what's required by its partners,
that's why technologies like GPU Passthrough weren't developed so much and are still experimental (I tried it and it failed, as expected, by the way).
Although a Virtual Machine should be used to do certain kind of tasks (not resource-intense tasks), there may be exceptions.
I gotta make Discrete Cosine Transform calculations, Hadamard Transform calculations, Fourier Transform calculations, Karhunen-Loeve Transform calculations, Wavelet Transform calculations,
as well as vector-moving calculations, and, for such calculations, I would really like to have OpenCl support, 'cause I'm actually using CPU only and it's slow as hell.
I'm an engineer and I do these tasks on a daily basis.
My main OS is Fedora (and Arch Linux), but I also have Windows XP which I keep in order to do these tasks.
I also have a dedicated server which is in charge of processing these things, but it would be awesome to have OpenCl support for my home pc, just in case, you know.
(I cannot run Windows XP natively in my new computer due to the lack of Legacy BIOS mode and IDE mode in UEFI)
So my question is: will Virtual Box support OpenCl anytime soon? Will it support OpenCl in the future? Are Oracle partners interested in such technology?

Thank you in advance,
Francesco Bucciantini.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: OpenCl support in the future?

Post by socratis »

FranceBB wrote:I know that VirtualBox is an Oracle product and that Oracle focuses on what's required by its partners, that's why technologies like GPU Passthrough weren't developed so much and are still experimental
Sure every company focuses in their customers' demands, but remember that VirtualBox is open-source software at the same time. And there are a lot of open-source software projects that take advantage of OpenCL. Just not enough interest in doing it virtualized I guess...
FranceBB wrote:Although a Virtual Machine should be used to do certain kind of tasks (not resource-intense tasks), there may be exceptions.
I'm not sure I agree with you on this one. A VM could do calculation-intensive tasks (not resource intensive, resource can be disk I/O), and as a matter of fact, I was using a VM to do exactly that. Just not with the GPU.
FranceBB wrote:I have a dedicated server ... but it would be awesome for my home pc, just in case
So, not even in your case it's a priority ;).
FranceBB wrote:So my question is: will Virtual Box support OpenCl anytime soon? Will it support OpenCl in the future? Are Oracle partners interested in such technology?
I don't think that you'll get information about any of these questions in a users' forum. The developers do not discuss future plans. Heck, they won't tell us when the next minor revision will be out, never mind a game-changing feature like this one. And even if they did, they would lose their jobs the next (if not the same) day.

As an amateur, I can tell you that I haven't seen any movement in that front in the public side of the source code. I have no clue whatsoever if they're testing something internally, but I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was no.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.