mutable mic for security / privacy

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
xahare

mutable mic for security / privacy

Post by xahare »

Would like the mic, or audio input channels to be mutable per vm. a simple boolean would be great.

by definition, many use cases of virtual machines implies that they are not trusted. while you can disable the mic on the host, this doesnt help when you do want to use it.
erdeslawe
Volunteer

Re: mutable mic for security / privacy

Post by erdeslawe »

Why not simply use a Guest's built in controls to disable sound input and/or output? It works for me as I, normally, have no use for such features in a Guest OS unless I want to carry out some specific software tests.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

xahare wrote:a simple boolean would be great.
Technically, it's a drop down actually. Host Audio driver = Null Audio.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
xahare

Post by xahare »

erdeslawe wrote:Why not simply use a Guest's built in controls to disable sound input and/or output? It works for me as I, normally, have no use for such features in a Guest OS unless I want to carry out some specific software tests.
the point is to prevent malware from spying on the user.
socratis wrote:
xahare wrote:a simple boolean would be great.
Technically, it's a drop down actually. Host Audio driver = Null Audio.
that disables both input and output. its more common to want audio out from a vm without wanting audio in. now that i look at it, a good place for that option would be sub menu under devices. something like audio-> disabled, in, out, both.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, let me get this straight. You want to do testing with potentially rogue software, while listening to sounds from within the VM, but you're afraid that the rogue software maybe listening to you. And you want the hardware emulator to stop that. And that's something that you can't do neither from the host nor the guest. And you want a click-option. Does that sum it up?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
xahare

Post by xahare »

socratis wrote:So, let me get this straight. You want to do testing with potentially rogue software, while listening to sounds from within the VM, but you're afraid that the rogue software maybe listening to you. And you want the hardware emulator to stop that. And that's something that you can't do neither from the host nor the guest. And you want a click-option. Does that sum it up?
Yes.

By definition, im not trusting the guest, so anything in that is out. While you can mute the mic on the host, this means, you'd have to suspend all the other vms when you use it. and, you might forget to re mute it if you do use it.

This is not because im intentionally running malware. This is a least privileged access thing. You often dont know when a vm is compromised until sometime after. the attacker might be listenting to you, or listening for passphrases that your typing into other VMs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystroke_dynamics

i do all my work in virtual machines. os x is only there to run them. the idea is to prevent compromise and contain the damage when it happens.

p.s. im aware of qubes-os, and did run it on my other laptop. this one has some different purposes.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

xahare wrote:This is a least privileged access thing.
That's what I was thinking when I said disable the audio controller altogether. Case closed. End of discussion.