Creating a VM in a non-default directory

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Eric Siegerman

Creating a VM in a non-default directory

Post by Eric Siegerman »

Is it possible (specifically, using the GUI) to create a VM in a directory other than the one specified by the Default machine folder preference?

If so, how? (I've found nothing in the UI, and nothing helpful in the manual or online -- though I won't rule out the possibility that I'm missing the obvious...)

Edit: This is re. VBox 5.1.18 for Linux.

Thanks.
Last edited by Eric Siegerman on 31. Mar 2017, 01:18, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Creating a VM in a non-default directory

Post by socratis »

Eric Siegerman wrote:create a VM in a directory other than the one specified by the Default machine folder preference?
Change it? By pressing the drop-down and the Other folder icon? In the Default machine folder preference?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Eric Siegerman

Post by Eric Siegerman »

socratis wrote:Change it? By pressing the drop-down and the Other folder icon? In the Default machine folder preference?
I take it that's a "no".

Yes, of course I can change the preference. But how annoying. Imagine if, instead of being able to write a file to /a/b/c, you had to, *every* time:

Code: Select all

cd /a/b
echo foo >c
cd /wherever/you/were/before
Besides, the pref's name is Default machine folder. "Default" implies "overridable"; if it's not overridable, the name is false advertising.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Wait a minute... You want to create VM1 in folder A and then create VM2 in folder B and then create VM3 in folder C? Is that what you're talking about? Then not straight from the create a new VM dialog.

Default means that *new* VMs will be created in the default folder. And you *can* overwrite the default. Just not during the VM creation, but before that. You could be using the moving a VM technique, but it's more work if you ask me.

I don't think I've seen this suggestion/request before, but frankly I never thought about creating VMs all over the place to begin with.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Eric Siegerman

Post by Eric Siegerman »

socratis wrote:Wait a minute... You want to create VM1 in folder A and then create VM2 in folder B and then create VM3 in folder C?"
Just so. Not one right after the other like that, but still...

When deciding where to put something, I don't care about what it is, as much as about why it is. VMs for a given project go with everything else related to that project, as opposed to going with all the VMs for all the unrelated projects (e.g. If I were hacking on VBox itself, my test VMs would live next to the source tree.) And throwaway VMs go whereever I happen to have a lot of free disk space :-) Suffice to say that no static preference setting can capture that. Basically, I want the logical equivalent of File > Save As.... (Of course, literally having such a menu option doesn't make sense in a wizard.)
socratis wrote:Then not straight from the create a new VM dialog.
That's my point: why not? I understand the historical reason: the pre-4.0 file organization really wanted (and maybe required; I don't precisely recall) all of the VMs to live in the same place. But does that still matter now, 6+ years after 4.0 was released? (I don't think backward compatibility is a factor; as you said, this is about where new VMs are created, not how VBox handles preexisting ones.)
socratis wrote:Default means that *new* VMs will be created in the default folder. And you *can* overwrite the default. Just not during the VM creation, but before that.
From dictionary dot com (sorry, but I'm a new member; the forum won't let me post URLs yet...):
default (noun)
Computers. a value that a program or operating system assumes, or a course of action that a program or operating system will take, when the user or programmer specifies no overriding value or action.
In any case, you've answered my question. I'll submit an enhancement request. Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Eric Siegerman wrote: I'll submit an enhancement request.
And I'll move this to "Suggestions" from "Using VirtualBox". If you do add a ticket, please remember to update the thread so others can follow its progress. TIA.
Eric Siegerman

Post by Eric Siegerman »

Ticket created: #16627. (Still haven't been a member long enough to post the link; sorry.)
Last edited by socratis on 31. Mar 2017, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Meanwhile you could to this partially by grouping your VMs.
That way you would have a seperate directory hosting all VMs of a group, but each of these will still be a subdirectory below the default "VirtualBox VMs".