GuestAdditons on host OS.

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
PietjePuk

GuestAdditons on host OS.

Post by PietjePuk »

No I'm not kidding ;-)

I work on a laptop daily. My primary OS is Windows 7. A month ago I replaced my dvd-player with a hdd-caddy +hdd. On this disk I installed Debian. Now I can multiboot by choosing my boot device from the bios-menu.

On both OSes have VirtualBox installed. When I boot my laptop with Windows, I sometimes want to use Debian. I created a virtual machine which links to my physical Debian hdd. This can be done with:
VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "<>.vmdk" -rawdisk \\.\PhysicalDrive<>

On Debian I have VirtualBox Guest additons installed, so I can enjoy the automatic resizing of the screen resolution etc.

The other way around also works: I can boot Debian and from there start VirtualBox and start a virtual machine with the physical Windows hdd. Works as good as the other way around. I can even install VirtualBox Guest additons but there is one problem. The computer won't boot Windows as host OS anymore. It is stuck after "Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.sys. After uninstalling Guest additons (from Debian + VirtualBox ofcourse) Windows is booting as a host OS again.

I also noticed that when I run Windows as host OS I'm not able to install GuestAdditions. This could be done to prevent users from doing something useless, or (and) this could be done to prevent users from breaking (not booting) the OS.

Is it known that GuestAdditons on a host OS breaks it? Maybe I'm just unlucky with my hardware + GuestAdditons. If this is know, I would like to do a feature request;-)

Gr,
Pieter Verberne
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: GuestAdditons on host OS.

Post by socratis »

As far as I understand it, that's not possible for one reason only; the graphics driver. The "privileges" that you enjoy with the resizing and the auto-scaling could not be possible be done with the native graphics drivers for your host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: GuestAdditons on host OS.

Post by scottgus1 »

To get the largest window you could get when running Windows as a guest without Guest Additions, you could try custom video modes, see the manual, section 9.8.1