Host only network as DHCP client

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
tr42

Host only network as DHCP client

Post by tr42 »

Hi

What I'd like to do is to be able to create a host only network so that instead of having a static ip address, it would have a dhcp client and get its address and some routes from a (virtual) router running as a virtualbox guest.

That would be kinda useful.

//Rinne
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Host only network as DHCP client

Post by mpack »

You mean like the host only feature already does? You don't need a second VM to be a DHCP server, the VirtualBox host process already does it.

Not a "Using VirtualBox" subject. Moved to "Suggestions".
tr42

Re: Host only network as DHCP client

Post by tr42 »

Of course I know that VirtualBox itself can serve addresses via DHCP to host only network. This is of course the basic case. But this is not what I mean.

What I want is to create a host only network that VirtualBox itself doesn't set address at all but instead there is a DHCP client running in a host machine and once there is a guest machine that starts serving DHCP in that net, the host machine (and other guests possibly connected to the same net) would get an IP and possibly some routes that could be reached via that net.

One such guest might be a RouterOS cloud hosted router that would open some VPN connections and then offer some routes through those VPNs for the host machine and other guests.