System service for updating VirtualBox?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
loosus

System service for updating VirtualBox?

Post by loosus »

In my environment, we have many people using VirtualBox on a daily or weekly basis, but nobody in my environment has administrator rights to their Windows computers.

The IT support folks do not mind performing the initial installation for VirtualBox, but it's really annoying to get support calls for installing updates. When we install a program on a user's computer, we are basically saying, "We approve of this program and all of its updates."

Is it possible that VirtualBox could have an update service included that runs as SYSTEM so that updates occur automatically? This would make it where users still do not need administrator rights to install updates.

Already, programs like Chrome, Firefox, Adobe Acrobat Reader, etc. update using an included service that runs as SYSTEM, so I would think it shouldn't too big of a deal to add one to VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: System service for updating VirtualBox?

Post by socratis »

Suggestions is usually a sub-forum where you can see the craziest and extremely limited-use cases suggestions. But your suggestion actually is one that makes sense. So +1 from me. I don't have a personal need for this, but I can definitely see the merits of such an approach.

I did some search on your past posts (like I do for everyone) and I remembered our discussion, "Where is the preferences file(s) located in Windows?", from a couple of months back. In there you were talking about the "<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/UpdateDate" value="never"/>" setting, which is a per-user one. This "service" idea definitely improves upon the scenario.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Do you have a centralized software management when the normal users don't have admin rights on their systems?
Virtualbox uses a standard MSI installation which can be easily automated.
In many companies the software admns don't really like applications updating themselves automatically because that way they don't have full control about the versions in use.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Also, Virtualbox occasionally has a glitch creep in on the newest version, which wouldn't be good to push out to the production hosts. It's somewhat rare but it does happen. It is better to maintain an "If it ain't broke don't fix it" paradigm, and have IT push a new version per Martin's suggestion when you've tested it in the lab and you're sure it will work right on everyone's PC. The lab's test PC would be the right place for constant new version downloading.