Sound cards - is it possible to allow 48000 samples rather than just 44.1?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
wb4alm

Sound cards - is it possible to allow 48000 samples rather than just 44.1?

Post by wb4alm »

My computers are used in decoding radio signals. Most software modems --REQUIRE-- the sampling to be set at 48,000 samples a second, rather than the "cd quality" of 44,100 samples a second.

Can 48,000 sampling be provided?
or is there a way to let the host (pulseaudio) handle the sampling?

in my particular case, I have a LINUX host, running a windows-10 guest - because a couple of the software programs I use will only run in windows. Because of the way the programs use COM ports, they will not run properly under LINUX/WINE.
wb4alm

Re: Sound cards - is it possible to allow 48000 samples rather than just 44.1?

Post by wb4alm »

I am surprised that no one seems to be interested in allowing VirtualBox to have an option of sampling at a 48,000 bit rate in addition to the currently available sample rate of a 44,100 bit rate.

I guess I just do not understand the technology, because I thought that possibly allowing the host system to do the sampling might be an alternative to having both systems sample at different rates, thereby creating a digital stream that is useless.

comments anyone?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I think the reason you got no response is because your question is wrongly addressed. These are user forums: we can only answer questions on what the software does (as could anyone who looks at the user manual), not what it could do.

The question may be misplaced in another way: VirtualBox emulates specific audio chipsets (specifically SB16, AC'97 and "Intel HD Audio"). Anything that the physical chipset can do, the simulation ought to be capable of as well, unless the manual says otherwise. So, I'm not aware that the available options are not already capable of 48k sample rates, if you have the guest OS software to configure them that way.
wb4alm

Post by wb4alm »

I realise that this are user forumns, I was originally thinking I might have configured something wrong.

This particular forum is tagged as "suggestions..."

but that doesn't matter, your thinking seems to say that the guest operating system should have had an option for me to select my desired sampling rate. It did, and there was only one choice "44.1 CD quality" While typing this request for info/suggestion - Microsoft applied some fixes to the WIN 10 Home system, and now there is no place to select anything... (On an older win7 screen print, There was an option listed as "48K DVD quality". - but the system is now running win-10 not win 7.)

...I will check with some WIN-10 home forums and see if others are having any problems...

Whatever I discover, I will report back here.

But thank you for your comments, I live in the countryside, so there aren't many other technical users that I can chat with.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I guess that another option would be to use a USB Audio card that could be owned and controlled by the guest, though my normal wariness would apply concerning the use of timing sensitive physical hardware from inside a virtual machine.