Feature Request: Ability to Restore Snapshot from inside the VM (through a Host+Key combination)

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Sonia

Feature Request: Ability to Restore Snapshot from inside the VM (through a Host+Key combination)

Post by Sonia »

Hello, everyone. This is my first post.

It's possible to Take Snapshot if you press "Host+T", but I'd like to also being able to Restore Snapshot from inside the VM through a key combination. Maybe "Host+K" ? My idea is that pressing this combination would restore the latest snapshot you took.

Perhaps this feature could be included in the next release?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Feature Request: Ability to Restore Snapshot from inside the VM (through a Host+Key combination)

Post by socratis »

Too dangerous if you ask me.
  • You don't want to assign a shortcut to an operation that is not reversible. "Undo" for example usually has a "Redo". "Revert to a snapshot" doesn't.
  • If it's not reversible, you'd have to have an extra dialog which confirms whether you intended to press that shortcut.
  • Which means extra steps required to do what you're proposing (as opposed to "Undo" let's say).
  • Which leads you to VirtualBox Manager and the existing way of reverting to another snapshot.
  • Done ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Feature Request: Ability to Restore Snapshot from inside the VM (through a Host+Key combination)

Post by scottgus1 »

Sonia wrote:Perhaps this feature could be included in the next release?
Probably not, unless you code it yourself, unfortunately.

New features of free Virtualbox come from development on the paid version Oracle sells to businesses and others rich enough to pay for it. (licensing starts at $6100) Users are able to contribute code for consideration. You can put an enhancement request on the Bugtracker, but don't hold your breath - it'll take longer than the ensuing onset of unconsciousness and brain damage will allow.

That said, what you want to do is run a command from inside the guest that activates a command on the host. If you could figure out how to do that between two networked PCs, then you could implement a home-rolled setup that does what you want. Host Vboxmanage & Guest Additions Vboxcontrol getextradata/setextradata, temp file in a shared folder, etc. could be used for command transfer.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Scott, you would definitely be the man to go to if I ever wanted to script anything (you know that), but I think the OP is looking for something less ... convoluted, i.e. a HostKey+T. With the amount of coding that you're suggesting, it's much easier to go to the VirtualBox Manager and simply revert the snapshot. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Quite true about the op's desire for a host-key combo, Socratis. I started thinking about how to solve this as if one wasn't able to be at the host, at which point there'd be no way to use a host-key combo anyway....