Two Suggestions

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
AndreeF94

Two Suggestions

Post by AndreeF94 »

Hi

i have two suggestions that i would like to share here

First Suggestion: I often work with VMs (from modern.ie site) that have a 90-day-limit and change often the setting "Cable connected" at the Machine Settings unter Network => Advanced. Also when i use a save state on that VM (VM save state: "aktueller Zustand" without connected cable) Then i change the setting "Cable connected" and after testing I reset the VM on that save state.

So i would like to see the Setting "Cable Connected" on the detail site of the VM.

=====

Second Suggestion: Please add an option to use a existing virtual hard drive file as an virtual"Plug and Play" external hard drive.

Thanks

AndreeF94
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Two Suggestions

Post by mpack »

AndreeF94 wrote: So i would like to see the Setting "Cable Connected" on the detail site of the VM.
I'm not sure what this refers to. What is "detail site"? If you mean the VM settings dialog then the network panel already has a "cable connected" checkbox (open the "Advanced" dropdown).
AndreeF94 wrote: Second Suggestion: Please add an option to use a existing virtual hard drive file as an virtual"Plug and Play" external hard drive.
Already done (USB MSD): https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch05. ... ontrollers. This works on any guest which supports generic USB Mass Storage Devices.
AndreeF94

Post by AndreeF94 »

mpack wrote:
AndreeF94 wrote: So i would like to see the Setting "Cable Connected" on the detail site of the VM.
I'm not sure what this refers to. What is "detail site"? If you mean the VM settings dialog then the network panel already has a "cable connected" checkbox (open the "Advanced" dropdown).
Detail site is the first site when you start VirtualBox (all information about the chosen virtual machine on the righten side)

and i would like to see on that site the text "cable connected / cable not connected", in fact of the chosen setting there (VM settings dialog then the network panel already has a "cable connected" checkbox (open the "Advanced" dropdown))

i would like to show a picture now but "You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls."

for example:

Code: Select all

Audio
Host driver: Windows DirectSound
Controller:  ICH AC97

Network
Adapter 1: Intel PRO/1000 T Server (Host-only adapter, 'VirtualBox Host-Only Adapter)
Cable connected / Cable not connected
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I think I understand what you want, Andree, but the Suggestions subforum doesn't allow posting a picture to see if it is what you want. Under the Network section for a guest in the main Virtualbox window, adapter number, name, and connection type would also show if the cable is connected or not. Interesting idea.

This will be an enhancement request. Post it on the Bugtracker. Don't expect it in the next version, though, unless the developers fall in love with it at first sight or the rich licensed customers also like and want it. On the other hand you could produce the code yourself if you want.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

This is one of the easiest accessible configuration options available, so personally, I wouldn't want to also take additional space in the summary pane of a VM.

If you launch the VM, a network icon on the window (bottom right) lists all the connections. The check mark next to it indicates whether the cable is connected or not. Tick/untick it and it changes its state. Easy.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.