Why not use UserVoice to track suggestions?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Scrumhausen

Why not use UserVoice to track suggestions?

Post by Scrumhausen »

I'd love to see all VBox suggestions in a single, categorizable, and searchable format where the community can assemble a backlog of feature ideas and vote on them.

BTW the virtualbox UV subdomain is currently available!

Thoughts?

-Richard

Boise, Idaho
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Why not use UserVoice to track suggestions?

Post by socratis »

Scrumhausen wrote:Why not use UserVoice to track suggestions?
I would think that it's because votes don't pay the bills, customers do? And I'm pretty sure that the customers get their wishes come true ;)

But in all reality it could be a double-edged sword. If you start catering to votes, you might lose focus of the business. And if you ignore popular votes, people are not going to be happy and you'll get negative publicity. One way to avoid both? Not to have the Gallup pole.

Just my two cents...
Scrumhausen wrote:BTW the virtualbox UV subdomain is currently available!
I'm not even sure what that means. Do you mean virtualbox.uservoice.com? Or something like that? I'm sorry, but I'm not very good at deciphering other people's minds...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Why not use UserVoice to track suggestions?

Post by mpack »

We already have BugTracker, which is searchable and includes improvement requests as well as bug reports. I'm not sure why voting would help: it's always quite obvious IME what the urgent issues are.