Virtual USB

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Solrac42

Re: Virtual USB

Post by Solrac42 »

Hi Socratis,

Sorry about the brief stuff in capitals, but I was pushed for time last night, lots to do with family responsibilities and life ... you know how it is, anyway down to business, I am getting full read/write access to my USB flash drive from the guest without using shared folders with VirtualBox v5.024 and v 5.026, so I did not think they were needed.

"What does that mean? Do you have to use the BIOS or not ?", the BIOS is not accessed for this operation, the factory restore software is menu driven and I just follow the on screen directions.

"can you explain to me how on earth did you get read/write access to the USB from your guest? Doesn't compute."
Is using the drop down menu to activate the USB flash drive in the USB settings menu "using a filter" ... if so, then yes, I am using a filter.

It could possibly be that the way this particular factory restore software is written is the cause of the problem, it may not be a problem with VirtualBox, I will try some others to see if they can format the USB flash drive and report back here.
Last edited by Solrac42 on 12. Aug 2016, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Can we get a hold of the this particular factory reset software so we can try it?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Solrac42

Post by Solrac42 »

socratis wrote:Can we get a hold of the this particular factory reset software so we can try it?
Yes, I could upload it to Amazon Drive and post a link here, but I am not sure if it is legal because it contains Microsoft Windows.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I already have Windows, no need for another one, so send me a personal message with the link if you can. (PM on the right-hand side)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Solrac42

Post by Solrac42 »

The file size is too large for Amazon Drive, it is 7.79GB, so I will find another site I can upload it to, it will take hours to upload from my broadband, I will then contact you by PM with the link.
Solrac42

Post by Solrac42 »

Sorry, I can't upload this file, even Google drive will take 32 hours on my broadband.

You will be able to source this file from a Toshiba Satellite Pro C660D (if you can get hold of one) by using drive cloning software to make an image of the drive, then create a VHD file in Windows disk management and then clone the drive image file to it, detach the VHD file and then run VirtualBox, you will need to remove the SATA drive controller in VirtualBox first and then add a new SATA contoller to make it work, this is how I setup and test factory restore sofware.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I think option A (even with its 32 hours uploading and another 4-5 downloading) is going to be way, way faster compared to option B. The limiting factor will be me getting a hold of a Toshiba Satellite Pro C660D and convincing the owner that nothing bad is going to happen to their baby.
Solrac42

Post by Solrac42 »

After some testing I have found that USB flash drives are working fine with VirtualBox.

I installed a virtual Windows 10 and used both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 filters, then I activated the Windows 10 Create Recovery Drive, it was able to format and copy the recovery utilities onto the USB flash drives, so I conclude the problem I was having with the factory restore software from the Toshiba Satellite Pro C660D was not a bug in VirtualBox but was related to the way the factory restore software is written.

I did this without using any shared folders BTW.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Solrac42 wrote:I did this without using any shared folders BTW.
You couldn't have done it, no matter what. You do not get low level access to shared folders, or any networked folder for that matter, such to allow formatting. You don't even see the device.

Glad you got it working...
Solrac42

Post by Solrac42 »

socratis wrote:You couldn't have done it, no matter what. You do not get low level access to shared folders, or any networked folder for that matter, such to allow formatting. You don't even see the device.
I have never setup shared folders, the field is blank, the only setting there is Machine Folders .. is that what you are referring to ? I am using version 5.0.26 and extensions 5.0.26
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Yes, that's what I meant. But this was not my point. My point was that formatting a USB stick requires "device access", something that Shared folders do not offer, so it was moot to refer to Shared folders having nothing to do with you getting it working.