Drag and Drop Reset Button

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Daryl95

Drag and Drop Reset Button

Post by Daryl95 »

I love having the Drag and Drop feature for Windows, but (just like VMWare) if something gets jostled up it stops working (in this case from resizing the screen or from a half working program that went nuts inside the machine, or both). Is it possible that the feature or whatever variable changed could be reset, restoring the broken functionality, and available to me, the end user, via a simple reset button in the Devices menu? This would be great so that I don't have to restart the machine every time; I'm pretty sure restarting Windows doesn't work (or maybe it was hit and miss, I can't remember), I think I actually have to close the machine and reopen it.

Thanks. I would love for some convenient workaround to be supplied, because this feature breaking is my biggest gripe about virtual machines.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Drag and Drop Reset Button

Post by mpack »

+1, though it seems to me that there is lots it could do to improve on that.

I found, like you, that it would eventually stop working. After that it would fail to start, saying that a transfer was already ongoing. ISTM that would be an excellent time to ask me if I want to abort the previous (failed) transaction.

I haven't pinned down which transactions fail. I have a feeling it has to do with host permissions issues: the host blocks the transfer to a certain folder say, but VirtualBox doesn't detect that this happened. I assume that it's done as a background task and doesn't yet have very good error handling.
Daryl95

Post by Daryl95 »

It turns out restarting the Windows guest did fix the drag and drop.

I know I don't know much about the code, but it seems like a handful of factors would be affecting the drag and drop, which restarting the OS resets, and if they could be isolated and reset manually without messing up Windows that would be great.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well yes, you mentioned in your first post that restarting the guest fixes the issue temporarily. I assumed the suggestion was for something more convenient, assuming that an outright fix would be difficult.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Stopping and restarting the VBoxTray process in the Windows guest might do the trick too. I am definitely not a Windows person, so anyone knowledgeable should feel free to post more details.
Daryl95

Post by Daryl95 »

I'll have to try that, that would actually be an even simpler workaround if it does work.

EDIT: I tried exiting the tray and restarting the service, but it didn't work. I don't think I started them properly. Next time I'll try only restarting the service and leaving the tray alone.
EDIT2: This is the worst one yet. I tried guest to host this time. The first one failed and now I can't reset it; it says another drag and drop is in progress and not even restarting the machine gets rid of it!!!