Downloading of extension pack after upgrade

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
NA!
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows (XP, 7, 10), Linux

Downloading of extension pack after upgrade

Post by NA! »

Using Windows host.

After every new release, i have the habit of downloading both the new version executable and the extension pack and place them in a certain folder on my PC. After installing the new version, i go to Prefs \ Extensions to upgrade the extension pack but each time i'm notified that a new version exists and i'm offered only one option: to download it. Since i have the file locally, it would be nice if an additional option existed in that dialog, to upgrade it from local storage. This would open the same dialog ("select an extension package file") that exists in Prefs \ Extensions. After i select and upgrade the file, it would also be great if the program remembered the folder i used, so the next time i will use that option, it will open this folder and not some default like "Documents".
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Downloading of extension pack after upgrade

Post by mpack »

I don't get that prompt, because I've turned off notification of updates. I install extension packs manually, just as you request.
NA!

Post by NA! »

mpack wrote:I don't get that prompt, because I've turned off notification of updates.
You mean you've turned of the "Check for updates" setting in Preferences \ Update? This could be a workaround but that setting is useful, i wouldn't want to turn it off because i don't manually check for VBox updates often.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

NA! wrote:i wouldn't want to turn it off because i don't manually check for VBox updates often.
Why should you? Unless your current installation is broken I don't know why you would care about updates.

My own case is different. I install the latest version because I kind of have to. And I'm every here day so don't need to be told by the software that a new version is available.
NA!

Post by NA! »

mpack wrote:
NA! wrote:i wouldn't want to turn it off because i don't manually check for VBox updates often.
Why should you? Unless your current installation is broken I don't know why you would care about updates.
For certain software, i like having the latest version available. VBox is one of them. You never know if in a point release, a major speed improvement on something may appear or a security hole is fixed or some crucial bug you never noticed may have been fixed (or new exciting bugs have been introduced! :o :) ).

Anyway, when a new VBox version is released, i usually give it a few days and then install it even if it seems it does not contain crucial fixes.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Did you try to just doubleclick on the downloaded extension pack file instead of going to the preferences menu to install it?
NA!

Post by NA! »

Martin wrote:Did you try to just doubleclick on the downloaded extension pack file instead of going to the preferences menu to install it?
Yes i did. Just now. :oops: :o

Thanks for unblocking me... :)