A utillity built right in.

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
CMWAidan x

A utillity built right in.

Post by CMWAidan x »

Hi there,
I, when using virtual box, find it sometimes hard to used shared folders. I thinks there should be a utility built right into VB that allows you to look at and modify the contents of the virtual hard disk.

Hope this suggestion helps you out in the future!

-CMWAidan x
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: A utillity built right in.

Post by mpack »

I doubt this will happen. First, you assume VirtualBox code to understand guest OS filesystems - none of which currently exists. Second, having VirtualBox modify the contents of the guest OS filesystem is a big no-no.

If you find shared folders hard to follow then drag and drop may suit you better. However, it must be said that currently, shared folders are pretty robust but drag and drop is far from it.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: A utillity built right in.

Post by scottgus1 »

CMWAidan, here's a possibility, depending in the OSs your host and guest have:

Some Windows hosts can directly mount a VHD virtual disk. You can put the data in the disk that way, then attach the VHD as another disk to your guest. Linux guests are usually able to read, at least, from Windows disks, and may be able to write as well, if the file system is mutually compatible.

Although if you become skilled enough in toggling a VHD back and forth you'd be over-skilled to be able to use a shared folder. Shared folders are really easy.