A DNS Server to go along with the DHCP Server

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
UmarFKhawaja

A DNS Server to go along with the DHCP Server

Post by UmarFKhawaja »

I am a long-time user of VirtualBox and I love the software.

Recently, I have been playing around with VirtualBox creating Linux clusters in order to understand how to install and configure Apache Hadoop using Chef as the deployment mechanism.

For this to work, I need to be able to ssh from the host to the guests and for the guests to have visibility of each other as well. To enable this, I have had to set my machines up with 2 NICs each. I configure the first NIC to a NatNetwork and I configure the second NIC to a Host-Only Network. The first NIC gives me connectivity to the outside world and the second gives me the ability to ssh from the host to the guest.

The problem is that I have to configure each machine with static IP addresses so that I can refer to them by name in each of the guests and from the host. Using DHCP isn't a possibility because there's no guarantee that a machine will receive a particular IP address.

Another minor problem is that if I only use the NatNetwork, then the host is not accessible from the guests.

If the NatNetwork implementation included a DNS server as well as a DHCP server, along with the ability to tie a MAC address to an IP address, it would be a brilliant solution to solve this particular problem. I believe I wouldn't even need the second Host-only NIC if the NatNetwork DNS server was able to insert itself in the host's DNS server list.

Here's hoping this makes sense to people and my suggestion is taken up.