REAL NAT networking (like Workstation)

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
sr105

Re: REAL NAT networking (like Workstation)

Post by sr105 »

Here's a workaround found on SuperUser - add two NICs, one NAT and one Host-only.

Link forbidden because I'm new to the forum - search for "how-to-access-samba-on-a-guest-linux-behind-the-virtualbox-nat" at superuser.

Also, here's more information on why we, former VMware users, want this, or at least what it is that we're used to having. Here's a typical VMware setup -

- Linux Ubuntu guest used for web server development
- Needs access to the internet for apt-get and other dependency downloads
- Host needs access to Guest for SSH, H-T-T-P, and perhaps other ports depending on the scenario
- User works on a laptop and would like to be able to work at home, work, or without internet
- The Guest network IP doesn't rely on the local LAN so it works anywhere.
- User would like listening ports on the guest to work just like the would on a real server, the correct numbered ports at a distinct IP address, without having to do any extra configuration.

On the plus side, configuring networks in Virtual Box is *so much* easier than VMware Fusion. Thanks for that.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: REAL NAT networking (like Workstation)

Post by socratis »

What you describe is your favorite setup, not mine and not necessarily someone else's. Which is perfectly logical and acceptable. So, what should a virtualizer do in my opinion? Provide the building network blocks and you can set it up exactly the way you want it:
  • HostOnly: Isolated communication between that VM and the host. Only.
  • Internal: Isolated communication between several VMs, not even the host.
  • Bridged: Act like any other PC on the network. Intra-VM and host communication and of course the "world".
  • NAT: Simple Internet access for the majority of users. Out only by default. No intra-VM or host communication.
  • NATNetwork: A combination of Internal and NAT.
Now, tell me that with these building network blocks you can't create any scenario that you'd like by combining one or more network modes. Just as an example, I setup every VM that I create with 4 NICs, each one with a different mode. I then simply connect/disconnect the network cable at will ;)

For example a HostOnly, along with a Bridged mode, I believe could solve all your problems.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.