Why can't i post any messages on this forum?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Android 4.4, Ubuntu 14.04, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Debian 8 (Jessie) 64bit

Post by »

michaln
Oracle Corporation
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Why can't i post any messages on this forum?

Post by michaln »

You can thank Chinese spammers for that.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Obviously not an appropriate topic for "Windows Hosts". Moving it to "Suggestions" for want of something better.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

On the other hand, posting a message about not being able to post a message is what I'd call oxymoronic. ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I assume there's some missing information, like that a message containing a URL got rejected. Color me shocked that a user can fail to describe his problem accurately... :roll:
Guest OSses: Android 4.4, Ubuntu 14.04, Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Debian 8 (Jessie) 64bit

Post by »

I have tried noumerus times to post a message about a problem i have with VB i never could post it. Constantly a message i have to post a message first befor i could post a message/url on the board oh and i should be a member one day before i could send in a message. Geez i'm totaly frustrated VB isn't working the way i want i come here to tell you about it and i can't just post a message? You probably have some rules about posting messages on the board and i'm sorry i didn't have to time and patience to read your forum rules befor because i'm working on stuf okay and if you guy's don't want to help people or make it this difficult for people to post on here then why a forum at all???

I discovered that short test messages did get thru but got deleted so in my frustration i posted the above message with the question why i couldn't post in the hope some admin/mod would answer me but instead they let the message thru to the board pfff come on.

Yes i am a idiot and i don't do it right i should have being shot right away because i'm such a bad person and i should have read the rules come on i'm just a guy playing with VB why this difficult ???
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Gé wrote:Yes i am a idiot and i don't do it right i should have being shot right away because i'm such a bad person and i should have read the rules come on i'm just a guy playing with VB why this difficult ???
Because, not only you didn't read the rules, but you didn't actually read correctly the error when you tried to post. The error did NOT say anything about you posting a message, but it DID say something about posting URLs. You failed to read that correctly.

Mind you, if you want to attach something like a log or a screenshot, you can always use the "Upload attachment" at the bottom of the message form. Actually, that's what you SHOULD do, since not a lot of people will go to a 3rd party site.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.

Post by »

In the text i tried to post were no urls, no images, no attachments only plain text. The error said i have to be a member for at least one day and i should have posted one post before i could post a post. My mind is and was totally occupied with the problem i wanted help with and wanted to report here and sure maybe i did read it wrong but i still believe that is what the error said. And again i did not add urls, images, log's or anything but plain text. I still have the text saved on my system so i could post and will post again and you will see there are no urls or other things besides simple plain text.

The only thing that might be is that it was to much text because wen i post like 2 lines it did got thru but a longer story did not. I checked the story i tried to post has 273 words that could be to much or not allowed as a first message because very short posts did get thru.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

You are mistaken. The ONLY thing that a new user cant post is a URL in the message.
Just to be clear, typing the name of a site "in plain text" IS posting a URL.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.

Post by »

I wil post the exact text i was trying to post below just to show you what i was posting you have to trust me i did not edited it because it was totally simple for me to remove any urls and just post it but i just couldn't post. So please to not react on the content because i know this is a problem many people have and i want to add things on following posts wen i do post the problemn again so this is not about the content of the text below.

* start of text *
I'm running VB 5.0.10 on a Windows 7 64bit with 16gb ram and a 128GB SSD drive. Because of the small SSD i put all the VB guest files on a samba share.

This works for Windows, Ubuntu and even Android guest systems. Till last night. My goal was to setup a Debian Wheezy guest system on a CF card in VB. I found a tutorial on-line how to do that and it worked. I installed Debian onto a CF from the iso I downloaded from Debian.org and worked on the Debian system all night, restarted several times while working on it, everything seemed to work great. Today I liked to worked on the Debian guest system some more but wen I started it it could not find the semi virtual drive on the network share which connects the CF card to the guest system which working 100% last night. I forget to start VB with admin rights which was needed to mount the semi virtual drive like it said in the tutorial so i restarted VB with admin rights now all my guest systems can't find their virtual hd's anymore ???
What is going on here? Last night it worked really well I was happy as a child I could work on the debian CF system this way restarted several times. Even setup a bonding network of two virtual network interfaces wow amazing all this works I was totally happy and amazed I could do all this with VB. Till today all these problems started happening.

I would like the Debian system working again like it did last night.

Help please!
* end of text *
Last edited by mpack on 9. Dec 2015, 15:26, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Highlight very obvious URL that the OP swears was not present.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Gé wrote:I still have the text saved on my system so i could post and will post again and you will see there are no urls or other things besides simple plain text.
Please do post it so we can see what might have triggered the filter. But, please do not post/talk here your actual problem, because the title of the thread is completely off at this point and it won't help future searches and/or users. Open a new thread where you actually describe your problem. You have (as of this writing) 5 days and 3 posts already, so you should be all set. Even with URLs, although you shouldn't use them easily, but use the "Upload attachment".
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

There is a difference between Debian.org and http://www.Debian.org or www. Debian.org without the space.

So no, can't say I have a reason to trust you.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

michaln wrote:You can thank Chinese spammers for that.
Speaking of, the Apple Developer Forum was spammed in the same way yesterday. Although the messages were in Arabic.

Post by »

loukingjr wrote:There is a difference between Debian.org and http://www.Debian.org or www. Debian.org without the space.

So no, can't say I have a reason to trust you.
Oh that doesn't matter my wife and my girlfriend tell me that everyday i can't be trusted they are right and i love them anyway.

Anyway debian . org pfff i overlooked that but that is a domain not a url to me but oke that was the problem i could not post geez i couldn't figure it out what was going on oh well now its clear and solved and frustration is gone now i focus on the problem again.

A bumpy entry to the virtualbox forum.
Thanks for the help figuring this out sorry i was to frusty to see that debian . org was probably the problem.