Clarify the use of --timesync-set-start

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
JLD

Clarify the use of --timesync-set-start

Post by JLD »

Hi,

It would be nice to clarify the use of the --timesync-set-start option in the documentation.

This option is described here: https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09. ... getimesync

The current documentation states:
VBoxManage guestproperty set "VM name" "/VirtualBox/GuestAdd/VBoxService/PARAMETER" VALUE
[...]
--timesync-set-start Set the time when starting the time sync service.
Currently the description itself is confusing (from my point of view and what I've read here and there):
- Does it mean to do a time sync at a given time :?: In this case the value should be a date or a timestamp. The manual should give an example of the value to be passed.
- Does it mean to force a time sync when the time sync service starts :?: I don’t think that’s the case, else it should be renamed to --timesync-set-on-start (like we have --timesync-set-on-restore)
- Or does it trigger a time sync immediately on the guest :?: In this case it requires no value, and it should have no effect when the guest addition service is not running. It would be also a special use case of the "guestproperty set" command where the VALUE seems to be mandatory in the common cases.

Thanks.
hamelg2

Re: Clarify the use of --timesync-set-start

Post by hamelg2 »

JLD wrote:Hi,
- Does it mean to force a time sync when the time sync service starts :?: I don’t think that’s the case, else it should be renamed to --timesync-set-on-start (like we have --timesync-set-on-restore)
the following command show you the answer

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/VBoxService --only-timesync --timesync-set-start -v -f
JLD

Re: Clarify the use of --timesync-set-start

Post by JLD »

Sorry, but it doesn't answer to my question. Else please clarify. :)

The original question is how the guest property /VirtualBox/GuestAdd/VBoxService/--timesync-set-start is interpreted, and which kind of value(s) can be passed or if an empty value has any effect.

Then the purpose of the topic is to improve the doc to clarify this point.