Virtual USB memory stick drive

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Markus N.

Re: Virtual USB memory stick drive

Post by Markus N. »

I have another use case where a virtual USB stick would be very helpful: Creating and testing customized bootable USB sticks.

Being new to the topic of bootable sticks, this will involve lots of experimentation (and research, of course). I would like to go with virtual devices until I have a setup that works. Writing every test version to a real device is not a very good thing.

I think for private users like me, this kind of test lab is one of the main use cases for virtual machines. And for me personally, it's almost the only one.
jelabarre59

Post by jelabarre59 »

I asked for this a LONG time ago. I get the sense there's a "religious" reason they don't want to do it.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jelabarre59 wrote: I get the sense there's a "religious" reason they don't want to do it.
Yes, it is a religious reason, you're right. Most of the developers are also followers of the "Church of NotEnoughTime"... ;)

The age of a request is close to irrelevant. The necessity of a request, more so. The user contributed code, certainly turns the radar on.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Knautilus

Post by Knautilus »

Seems like this would be very slow for memory - probably to the point of being unusable.
SysMerlin

Post by SysMerlin »

Hi,

It looks like that Version 6.0.16 has implemented the feature described in this post(Could have been much earlier).
I could add an USB virtual USB controller, set it up as hot pluggable and attach a VDI image.
It was accepted by windows7 as USB key for bitlocker encryption.
Unfortunately, windows7 was complaining after reboot that it could not find the USB key.
Getting there....

Regards