OS X Guest Additions

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
megaza

Re: OS X Guest Additions

Post by megaza »

It is not about me, it is about virtualbox users, and in the end it is about the Oracle business.
But all points and answers are that Oracle do not care about virtualbox users and business (hah great) - this is obvious looking at virtualbox release notes (and missing roadmap https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2185)
michaln wrote:It is entirely possible for a third party to develop Guest Additions for an OS. It has happened before (e.g. Haiku). In fact there is absolutely nothing Oracle can do to stop people from developing OS X Guest Additions.
Thanks for answering my root question.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I think we've had enough of this.

If anyone wants to develop OSX guest additions they're more than free to do it. Please do!
If anyone has an announcement to make, feel fee to do it.
If anyone wants to petition Apple to open OSX, feel fee to do it.

If anyone wants to moan, this is NOT the place.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

megaza wrote:But all points and answers are that Oracle do not care about virtualbox users and business (hah great)
Total nonsense.

First of all, face facts - we're not hippies here: Oracle is a business. As such, they care about making money and hence paying their salaries and rewarding their shareholders. They don't take on projects just for the hell of it. I'm sorry if this comes as a shock.

Secondly, I have no idea where you got the impression that Oracle doesn't care about business, i.e. doesn't care about making money. Besides which you are not a customer at all, never mind a business customer, so I don't know why you think you can speak for that group. You are just a user of the free version like the rest of us here, except (unlike everyone else who has posted) - you have never contributed anything to the project or helped other users.

So no, nobody (us or Oracle) cares about the uninformed arguments of one user when the counterweight is: no potential for profit, but significant potential for lawsuits along with the loss of this site.