Rename media within Virtual Media Manager

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Raven

Rename media within Virtual Media Manager

Post by Raven »

Sometimes I want to rename a .vdi/.iso/.img file used by >=1 VM. It would be helpful if the Virtual Media Manager could handle renaming the file and updating the VM(s) that use it. It would be fine if VMM requires none of the VM(s) using the file be running, and the affected VM(s) cannot be started until the rename and update have been completed.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Re: Rename media within Virtual Media Manager

Post by loukingjr »

I'm having some difficulty understanding how this suggestion would be practical or useful.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
Raven

Post by Raven »

While no guests are running, use mv to rename some .vdi and/or .iso files. Now try to start the VMs that use those files. You may have a little trouble doing so. If you know the file is being used by only one VM and you only have 1-4 VMs, updating should not take that long. If you never use the GUI (or just like being prompted about broken links and having broken file icons), fine. Otherwise, you will also have to delete the old file reference from VMM.

But since I have a lot of VMs and some .vdi's are used by multiple VMs.... I could write a shell script to run mv. Then I can use find or VBoxManage list to get the list of possible VMs. Then update by using VBoxManage again or running sed against the .vbox files. The latter would still leave VMM needing to be cleaned up, but does make it easy to ensure existing IDE Master/Slave designations are not changed.

It just seems like it would be easier for an end user if one could use right-click --> Rename... --> dialog box for new name --> OK and know that no VMs were un-updated and no cleanup to do.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I can see the usefulness of this, even if just for one guest. Right-click-rename seems much easier than release-drive-remove-drive-keep-don't-delete-drive-rename-drive-which-guest-did-this-drive-go-with-again-open-guest-settings-reattach-existing-drive-navigate-to-drive-shoot-that-wasn't-the-right-guest-etc..... :)
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

I guess this could be useful if I wanted to rename all my .vdi files after the names of flower species. I'm just not sure why I would want to.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

loukingjr wrote:I guess this could be useful if I wanted to rename all my .vdi files after the names of flower species.
a Scenario:
the OP’s 2nd line boss (his boss's boss) has decreed that the Disaster Recovery Plan (commissioned by the 2nd line’s 2nd line) is to be implemented. In one sub-sub . . . sub paragraph is a statement governing file naming conventions, purpose: readily identify owning system/application(s). Remember that D.R.P.s are meant to be used primarily by the Operations (data center) staff.
I doubt that flowers were in mind for the implementation of the Disaster Recovery Plan study.
  • It is hoped that the 2GB option for VMDK files was not utilised.
Last edited by ChipMcK on 10. Jul 2014, 13:42, edited 4 times in total.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Oddly mine already are. VM name "Ubuntu 14.04 64" .vdi "Ubuntu 14.04 64" etc. etc. Plus there is a description section for each guest to add notes or what apps are installed etc.
vboxuser799
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by vboxuser799 »

Seems the OP's suggestion didn't get much support, but I would like to have this implemented. I'm not exactly a power user like most on these forums are. I make clones of my VMs regularly with dates in the names of the clones and thus in their .vdi file names. When I have to revert to a clone (backup), the ability to rename the .vdi quickly and conveniently without messing something up would be helpful.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Do you mean clone or do you mean backup? You used both terms. A clone is not really a backup: filenames are changed, UUIDs are changed, MAC etc is possibly changed. So if that's how you back up your VMs then essentially that would be incorrect, and doesn't provide strong support for this feature suggestion.

The best way to back up a VM is simply to copy the entire VM folder to secondary storage. Read Howto: Move a VM, and interpret it as "Howto: make and restore a VM backup".
vboxuser799
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by vboxuser799 »

Hi, mpack.

You are no doubt right to wonder what I meant.

I meant that I cloned in order to create a backup.

What I've been doing may not be the best / smartest / most efficient method. My goal was to have backups. My method was to clone a VM and copy the cloned VM to an external drive. When cloning I appended the date and time to the name of the clone. Then the new clone's .vdi file also had that info in its file name. I even intentionally have selected to reinitialize the MAC addresses, since I didn't want the info in the VM to be computer-dependent – I wanted to be able to mount it and run it on any physical computer.

I appreciate your advice and will look at the info you gave on how to make backups of VMs more appropriately.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Clones aren't byte-for-byte copies of the original files, so a simple file-compare to check copy integrity can't be used. Being able to FC the copy is a really strong verify process. A copy made under the instructions of the "Move a VM" link is a direct drop-in replacement for the guest, no reconfiguration needed. Simply copy the files back when you need to restore and you're ready to go.

Cloning is for being able to run the copy at the same time as the original, with consideration for any duplicate info inside the guest OS, like computer name for Windows, and activation/licensing issues.