Not allowed to post with urls, but my post has none?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
TenLeftFingers

Not allowed to post with urls, but my post has none?

Post by TenLeftFingers »

I tried posting something with no urls but got the error: You must be a member for 1 days and have 1 posts before you can post urls.

I removed any ampersands, colons or slashes but still get it. Is there a work around for this?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Not allowed to post with urls, but my post has none?

Post by mpack »

Yes, the workaround is to wait for a day, and post at least one message.

Or, ask your question without including external URLs. Yes, I know what you wrote: but the last time I had someone saying that he didn't post a URL... he did, in fact he clearly did. If you like you can PM me with the text of what you were trying to post, and I'll tell you what's wrong with it.
cjames

Post by cjames »

I'm posting a reply, not because I want to, but because the system won't let me submit my topic either, even though it clearly doesn't contain any URLs.

I appreciate the need to avoid spam, but the filters ought to work correctly. I worked for hours to produce a complete bug report, and need help ASAP, but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow afternoon to even get started. Very frustrating.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

IP addresses or even the word url or http will trigger the filter. If you need to post right away and are sure that the post is valid put it in a text file and post as an attachment. Then we can see it and tell if it is valid. Be sure to note this in the topic and I said to do so.
nbyloff

Post by nbyloff »

Sorry, I'm doing the same thing here. Trying to make a post (will post tomorrow I guess) even though it has no URLs.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

And again it has to have something that is translating to a URL or IP address.
Post the content in a txt file and attach it if you think this is in error.
David2015

Post by David2015 »

I have the same problem, I will try to post tomorrow.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Inability to read seems to be the main problem in this topic: where is the text attachment?
optimal

Post by optimal »

I'm seeing the same thing. No URLs, just internally-linked images. Ironic that a forum for such an advanced product has such basic flaws.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Of course you're seeing the same thing, you're not any special user. You just registered, so you'll have to wait for the restrictions to be lifted. Like everyone else.

And don't think them as board flaws, they're very carefully thought counter-spam measures.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
phdsurvival

Post by phdsurvival »

Are you joking? I use same ip address as few thousand people. Can you remove such restrictions finally? I'here biting my fingers because of time loss, so I have to lose one more day? Or did you make this so you don't have to answer any questions? Is this forum fake?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

phdsurvival wrote:Are you joking?
Not really...
phdsurvival wrote:I use same ip address as few thousand people.
From the logs, there's only one post from your IP. In these forums at least.
phdsurvival wrote:Can you remove such restrictions finally?
Not really...
phdsurvival wrote:I'here biting my fingers because of time loss, so I have to lose one more day?
You're here because you're asking for help. The rules are here to prevent spam. Spam makes *me* lose time, and I don't like losing time over spam, mainly because I prefer to help people that need help.
phdsurvival wrote:Or did you make this so you don't have to answer any questions?
Your question (singular, not plural) has been addressed. I really did not see the need for you to include a URL, your question had no problem, even without a URL.
phdsurvival wrote:Is this forum fake?
Not really...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
douglasharris
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows

Post by douglasharris »

Hi Socratis, I'm trying to start a new topic without any apparent URLs but I registered today. Hopefully, this will be my one required post. Can you tell us the rules of what is interpreted as a web address?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@douglasharris
  • You don't need to post URLs if it's you're talking about ZIPPED VBox.logs that show the problem, you can attach them to your post.
  • You don't need to post URLs for images that show your problem, you can attach them to your post.
  • If you really, absolutely have to post a URL, you can always obfuscate it like: "www . virtualbox . org /wiki/Downloads" and someone will de-obfuscate it for you.
  • I'd prefer not to give the exact list rules, but if it looks like a URL, and it smells like a URL, you can try and post it, with the expected denial. ;)
FaxedInvitation

Post by FaxedInvitation »

For anyone coming here wondering why they get this error, despite not having any URLs in the post... check if you have the word "url" itself anywhere in your text.

Apparently the literal string "url" is actually URL itself according to this system.