Show the CPU/Ram/Network usage percentage

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
VHSVK

Show the CPU/Ram/Network usage percentage

Post by VHSVK »

Is it possible to show the CPU/Ram/Network usage percentage of the Guest OS in the Virtual Box Main Window. It would be very useful if monitoring is provided on the Main Virtual box. Please.
Worsoee

Re: Show the CPU/Ram/Network usage percentage

Post by Worsoee »

I really support this suggestion - when running a lot of VM's on a server, and one of the VM's begins using resources (CPU), it's a lot of work to find the one acting up.
noteirak
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Debian, Win 2k8, Win 7

Post by noteirak »

Alternativly, you can get this information using vboxmanage metrics
Hyperbox - Virtual Infrastructure Manager - https://apps.kamax.lu/hyperbox/
Manage your VirtualBox infrastructure the free way!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Just thinking about this today. Agree, please show graphical CPU usage, network throughput, etc., metrics in main GUI. Sometimes it may not be possible or desired to run Task Manager or other OS equivalent in a guest.
Worsoee

Post by Worsoee »

Hi, ...

Thanks for the tip about VBoxManage, it's a powerful tool that can do all sorts of advanced stuff.

However, when running 15-20 VM's on a machine - and it goes to 99% total CPU load on the host - a quick glance pointing me to the troubled VM, not having to start a terminal when the system is already on it's knees, would be very helpful in a (sometimes) stressful situation :)

Best regards
VHSVK

Post by VHSVK »

Hi, can you please take this suggestion into consideration to show the live metrics of the virtual m/c in the front GUI itself. Thank you.
VHSVK

Display RAM/CPU/SWAP/Network/Disk usage percentage in GUI

Post by VHSVK »

Is it possible to display the RAM/CPU/SWAP/Network/Disk.. usage % of each Guest OS in the Virtual Box Main GUI Window. It would be very useful if monitoring is provided on the Main Virtual box GUI. Please.
When running multiple VM's on a machine, a quick glance pointing me to the troubled VM on the GUI overview would be really helpful. It can be either that or if the details are showed after i clicked each VM would also be a good start.

Thanks again.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@VHSVK
I merged your suggestion with the same one that you had 6 years ago. Borderline to being deleted as a duplicate. At least you're (almost) consistent, you added the "swap" this time around... ;)

I don't have a RAM/CPU for my DOS VMs (even a native one, let alone an external monitor), and there's definitely no swap for that. Network/disk usage can be seen with the VirtualBox built-in "Session Information... (Host+N)". I could be watching all of my VMs, all of the CPU/Disk/Network usage by simply launching ActivityMonitor/TaskManager/SystemMonitor (depending on the Host) and focusing on the "VirtualBoxVM" process(es).

In fact I do, every OS that I install (be it physical or virtual), has the corresponding monitor to auto-start. Sometimes even more than one, on my OSX host I have 3 running at the same time, that's the first line of business.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.