RFE: allow multiple versions of VirtualBox to be installed

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
RobertBagwill
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Red Hat, Centos, TinyCore, Lubuntu, XP, DOS, 98

RFE: allow multiple versions of VirtualBox to be installed

Post by RobertBagwill »

I would find it useful to be able to install (and run) multiple versions of VirtualBox. It would also be useful to be able to install and de-install beta versions cleanly.
Bob Bagwill
michaln
Oracle Corporation
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: RFE: allow multiple versions of VirtualBox to be install

Post by michaln »

RobertBagwill wrote:I would find it useful to be able to install (and run) multiple versions of VirtualBox
The short answer is "not likely to happen". It would require major re-engineering of the kernel components, many of which must be system global. There would be a bunch of very nasty problems to solve when accessing host devices and various system resources. Basically the effort required to implement this is far more than such a feature would be worth, and it's not something we'd ever expect a majority of users to use.

Not saying it wouldn't be useful - just that the return of investment would be negative.
It would also be useful to be able to install and de-install beta versions cleanly.
Beta versions can be installed and uninstalled just as cleanly as the normal releases.
RobertBagwill

Post by RobertBagwill »

I can see that running more than one instance simultaneously might be difficult, but running different versions serially seems like it shouldn't be. If you could get it done by Monday, that'd be great! :D
Bob Bagwill
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

RobertBagwill wrote: but running different versions serially seems like it shouldn't be.
I'll be watching for your contribution to the code. I mean since it should be easy I'll even give you until week after next Monday.
RobertBagwill

Post by RobertBagwill »

Sure, I'll get it started, if someone else could finish it, that would be fantastic!

Code: Select all

#ifdef I_WANT_TO_RUN_MORE_THAN_ONE_VERSION_OF_VIRTUALBOX_ON_THE_SAME_SYSTEM_BUT_NOT_AT_THE_SAME_TIME
#endif
I just love barn-raisings!
Bob Bagwill
selnomeria

Re: RFE: allow multiple versions of VirtualBox to be installed

Post by selnomeria »

YES, it seems possible using this method:

Use Two (Multiple) VirtualBox versions
Last edited by selnomeria on 12. Jan 2017, 21:24, edited 3 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'll quote the (short) how to in case the 3rd party website goes down, or people don't want to go to 3rd party sites:
For example, Install Virtualbox 4.3 in "C:\Program files\Oracle-4.3\Virtualbox", then open it and go to PREFERENCES > EXTENSIONS and install Extension-pack for the SAME VERSION (download from website). After that, copy the whole folder Oracle-4.3 to i.e. "D:\MyPrograms\Oracle-4.3".

Now, inside that folder, create the "RunVirtualbox4.3.bat" (if you use not Windows, but other OS, then create similar file for that OS) and put this content inside that (just leave the first line empty and start from 2nd line:
  • chdir "D:\MyPrograms\Oracle-4.3\VirtualBox"
    D:
    VBoxSVC /ReRegServer
    regsvr32 VBoxC.dll
    VirtualBox.exe
save that file. That’s all – everytime you will need to run VBox 4.3, then run this .bat file with “Run As Administrator” privilege.

Now, install i.e. Virtual-Box 5.1 and do exactly the same steps for it (just change Oracle-4.3 to Oracle-5.1 in all above occasions). Now, you may also need to remove all contents from C:\users\your_username\.VirtualBox. Now, try to run any of the .bat file with “Administrator Privilege”.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Post by ChipMcK »

Only for Windows hosts ?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I've been wanting to reply to selnomeria's post but thanks for "forcing" my reply. The proposed solution is not only half-baked, but it was pure luck that it actually worked:
  • The kernel drivers do not get released and upgraded/downgraded at will. At least not with that solution.
  • "Run as Administrator" is not only not recommended, it is dangerous.
  • There is no specific location for the VirtualBox "home" directory on Windows. On the other hand, there is a very, very specific location for OSX and Linux hosts, for security hardening reasons. Heck, you can't even rename the application on OSX hosts.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
selnomeria

Post by selnomeria »

socratis

It's very custom and not complete solution, if you can complete that solution and make much better , it will be good..
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

As I said, it was pure luck that it worked. There is no solution unfortunately. The only better and the only proper solution is a complete uninstall and re-install. I wish I could have several VirtualBox versions at the same time. I'd *love* to be able to do it. It won't work. At the moment I have to uninstall and re-install it, which (thankfully) on OSX it takes literally a minute, no reboots required. The biggest hassle is shutting down all the VMs. You can't even rename the app. It will fail spectacularly.

The problem with having different kernel drivers that the main applications is calling, is that if you have a bug, you'll never know if a bug is actually a bug, or it is caused by changes in the API. And which one, is it the kernel driver or the front app? Frankly, I wish I knew if the developers have a better way of doing it. If any.

But at the end of the day, you have to realize that a dangerous advice is a dangerous advice. Search for Pandora and her box...
adam7121

Post by adam7121 »

Beta versions can be installed and uninstalled just as cleanly as the normal releases.
How? Should i click the operating system related to the OS's beta and it should work?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Expecting someone to comment on a post they made in 2012 seems a bit hopeful. Locking this topic.