USB 3.0 Support

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Grower

Re: USB 3.0 Support

Post by Grower »

rpmurray wrote:
Grower wrote:The new HDD should not show up under the Controller:SATA section in the Storage Tree window.
If the new HDD does not show up under the Controller:SATA section, where will it be?
I mistyped, should have read "... HDD does now show up..." my bad. Edited original post.
lnunes_pt
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by lnunes_pt »

I didn't read this thread and don't really want too. But I think its about attaching the host USB to the guests.

I don't attach USB v2 or v3 to the guests. I mount them on the hosts and all my guests access them thru the shared folders.
Its much easier to share with multiple guests this way.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

lnunes_pt wrote:I mount them on the hosts and all my guests access them thru the shared folders.
Interesting and noted several times in this thread (I forgot, you didn't read it), but it only covers hard drives, not USB 3.0 devices, which is what the title of the thread is.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
lnunes_pt
Primary OS: Linux other
Guest OSses: Linux

Post by lnunes_pt »

socratis wrote:
lnunes_pt wrote:I mount them on the hosts and all my guests access them thru the shared folders.
Interesting and noted several times in this thread (I forgot, you didn't read it), but it only covers hard drives, not USB 3.0 devices, which is what the title of the thread is.
Aaah! okay. Read some posts little confusing. Attaching disks as storage.
Found in this thread this interesting ticket. Though getting the disk device to resolve always the same id to both host and vbox is tricky, possible but tricky.
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/8873#comment:18
szir

Post by szir »

I guess USB 3.0 host support is still in progress, because it does not work for me :(

I just bought a new computer with ASUS Z97-A, and unfortunately all my USB ports seem to be connected to Intel® USB 3.0 EXtensible Host Controller (event the 2 black ones at the back that supposed to be USB 2.0 ports).
(In USB View they show up as Port 13,14,9,10,3,4,1,2 on USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller, and none of them on Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller)

I tried USB to serial converter and TI Tiva lanchpad eval kit, and was unable to get them recognized by the host. I get "USB device is busy with a previous request" error messages, when trying to enable them. I searched the forums, net, and found no workaround that would work. It does not matter if I add them in the filter while the guest is shut down, or from the device menu ad-hoc, tried restarting everything (guest, host) multiple times. Tried the newest and older VB versions, none have worked so far. :( The only workaround that seems to work for other people is using USB 2.0 host controller, which I am unable to do...
(These devices work fine on my old machine on VB with same config.)

I'm using Windows 7 Host and Windows 7 guest.

I was otherwise satisfied with VBox (except for a few bugs and crashes) and introduced it to my friends.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

szir wrote:The only workaround that seems to work for other people is using USB 2.0 host controller, which I am unable to do...
No, it is not the only workaround. If you re-read this thread, you'll see that if you connect your USB3 device to a USB2 hub which connects to your USB3 host port, it will work as a USB2 device.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

szir wrote:I guess USB 3.0 host support is still in progress, because it does not work for me :(
As was mentioned twice by the two posts above yours, you can access USB 3.0 drives by creating shared folders that point to each drive.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
brettman

Post by brettman »

I would love USB 3.0 support in Virtual box.

I have tried creating folders to access but it has not worked.

Maybe a little step by step information would be nice.

I only get usb 2.0 speeds while using my usb 3.0 drives on virtual box now
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

You set up shared folders just as you would normally but you attach the entire drive instead of a folder.

You won't get USB 3.0 speeds until VirtualBox supports USB 3.0
brettman

Post by brettman »

oh yeah, im trying to get 3.0 usb speeds

usb 2.0 is very slow when restoring a clone drive to virtual box; takes many many hours. it could be 10 times faster with 3.0
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

brettman wrote:oh yeah, im trying to get 3.0 usb speeds
usb 2.0 is very slow when restoring a clone drive to virtual box; takes many many hours. it could be 10 times faster with 3.0
What are you referring to? There is no "clone drive restore" function in VirtualBox. You would do that in the host, in which case the VMs support (or lack of it) for USB doesn't enter into it.
Krew11uv

Post by Krew11uv »

Okay, here's a work around to the Virtualbox USB issue. First create a shared folder. Then in the USB device create a new folder. Place everything you plan to use in that drive in the New folder. Create a link of the folder and place that link in the shared folder. There you go..access to your 3.0 USB drive.
loukingjr
Volunteer

Post by loukingjr »

Krew11uv wrote:Okay, here's a work around to the Virtualbox USB issue. First create a shared folder. Then in the USB device create a new folder. Place everything you plan to use in that drive in the New folder. Create a link of the folder and place that link in the shared folder. There you go..access to your 3.0 USB drive.
Actually all you have to do is select the entire drive as a shared folder. There is no need for links.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Good news: USB 3.0 added to VirtualBox 5.0 !
oraclespider

Post by oraclespider »

ooh,i just tried with 5.0.0-beta3, i can use my USB key device in guest(the host is USB3.0 port). But i must say it is a long time to supports USB3.0. Many guys had already switched to vmware because the lack of 3.0 support.