Support for .img files as boot images.

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
handsomeorlandoman
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: none

Support for .img files as boot images.

Post by handsomeorlandoman »

It would be highly appreciated if .img files could be used as boot up images just like .iso files. It would make testing netbook operating systems a lot easier. :)

Thanks!
handsomeorlandoman
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Support for .img files as boot images.

Post by mpack »

What is an IMG file?

The ISO format is defined by a standard. A file with an IMG extension could be anything, you need to be specific about what format you're talking about.

I've seen .img used as the extension for floppy images, and for hdd dumps on Linux (using dd). The former is already supported by VBox. If its a whole disk raw hdd dump then it can also be used in VirtualBox: just create a VMDK descriptor for it, or use "VBoxManage convertfromraw" or CloneVDI to convert it to VDI.
handsomeorlandoman
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: none

Post by handsomeorlandoman »

I meant .img files used for netbook operating systems installed via USB sticks. (e.g. http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/). Except that I don't have an empty one handy. :-/ I know about the trick to convert to .vdi, but it would be appreciated if I could use .img files like .iso. Please let me know if I am misunderstanding something, I am not very experienced with VMs. :P
baijianpeng

Post by baijianpeng »

I also suggest this feature to be added into Virtualbox.

For example, I tried to test with this file: https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/raspberry-pi-3-3/

That is a bootable image file. I want to test with it on Virtualbox. But Virtualbox does NOT support booting from .img format file, so I can not use it.

I tried to convert that .img file to an .iso file, but failed.

If Virtualbox can work with .img format file, that will be very easy .

Thank you.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

@baijianpeng - in your particular case it wouldn't help. The Raspberry Pi image you linked to requires an Arm CPU.

VirtualBox isn't an emulator of other CPU architectures. It is a hypervisor for x86 to allow you to run multiple OS on the same hardware.

-Andy
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.