[4.1] Disable "Create snapshot of the current machine state"

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
pepak

[4.1] Disable "Create snapshot of the current machine state"

Post by pepak »

One more annoyance with version 4.1: I am in the habit of restoring a virtual machine to its initial state whenever on almost every shutdown. Older versions required a confirmation (something along the lines of "Are you really sure you want to discard all changes?") and that was fine. Version 4.1 still requires a confirmation, but also offers a checkbox to "Create a snapshot of the current machine state". This checkbox is always checked. Is there some setting somewhere which would leave this checkbox unchecked?

Thanks, Pepak
Studley
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Lots

Re: [4.1] Disable "Create snapshot of the current machine st

Post by Studley »

HIGHLY agreed about this annoyance! I tend to work with a few fixed snapshots (each containing specific versions/configurations of our software) and very rarely perform any ad-hoc snapshotting. Effectively, you've introduced a checkbox which I must always untick before reverting my snapshot - an activity which I perform maybe 20-30 times a day, and is now unnecessarily frustrating!

Please, may I suggest either a "never show me this again" preference, or remember my previous selection for this checkbox (i.e. if I unticked it last time I reverted, please leave it unticked when the dialog is next shown).
DavidLittleSemolina

Post by DavidLittleSemolina »

Same for me. I started the machine on background and snapshot loaded without any notification. 2 days of work lost.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Your statement seems to have nothing to do with the previous posts from 2011. Do you want to start a new thread and describe in more detail what you were trying to say?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DimeDroll

Post by DimeDroll »

I vote up for this thread.
imgurdotcom/fNWnAYu
*replace "dot" with "."
This checkbox increased time to restore snapshot twice as much as now I need to uncheck it every time.
Is there a way to report it more efficiently? Like feature request?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It sounds like you all should be using an immutable drive, not a snapshot. If you abuse the wrong feature you can't expect it to be convenient.

Incidentally, moving this topic to "Suggestions".
DimeDroll

Post by DimeDroll »

mpack wrote:Incidentally, moving this topic to "Suggestions".
Thank you!
mpack wrote:It sounds like you all should be using an immutable drive, not a snapshot. If you abuse the wrong feature you can't expect it to be convenient.
Hm, I just read about immutable sdrive and it seems like it is usable for cases when you need one immutable state for long period of time.
I just tested it, cloned one of my snapshots to new machine, deleted machine, changed left alone disk to "Immutable" state from "Normal", created new machine and attached newly cloned now immutable disk to this machine.
Started this machine, waited for it to boot to the Windows welcome screen, created snapshot, closed current snapshot without restoration and tried to restore previous snapshot - as the result same window with the same checkbox :cry:

Instead, I am creating new snapshots up-to 10 times in a day and switch between snapshots up-to 50 times in a day. Is there a better feature for me to use other then snapshots? Please advise.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Using snapshots in conjunction with immutable drives doesn't make much sense.
DimeDroll

Post by DimeDroll »

Agree, so the solution is the one that I've described earlier. But I'm forced to uncheck "Create a snapshot of the current machine state" every time.
May I submit feature request to make this checkbox configurable?
dlharper
Guest OSses: MS Windows (several versions); DOS

Post by dlharper »

I would like to add my voice to this request too. If I am loading a snapshot I rarely need to save the current machine state. It does get annoying having to uncheck the box every time.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

While I don't use snapshots I see a validity in this as well. But if you really want this to be considered you need to post it as a feature request at bugtracker
callipso

Re: [4.1] Disable "Create snapshot of the current machine state"

Post by callipso »

Is there any update regarding the ability to disable "Create snapshot of the current machine state" default state of this checkbox? It is extremely annoying. Anyone can provide hints how to disable it?

thank you
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

callipso wrote:Anyone can provide hints how to disable it?
By going through the source code and figure out the missing pieces. Tried it, made it, but unfortunately it required an extra "ExtraData" key, and from what I've come to know, these are special.

PS. Please don't post duplicates...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
highbaser
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, FreeBSD

Post by highbaser »

Issue still there in 2018 Dec. What a shame.

Oracle's idealists still don't care about the will of their users. Virtualization is not for lamers. It's for serious people with serious intentions and tasks. Please stop looking down on your users as we were some stupid dumb fools. We know what we're doing. If I choose to restore to a snapshot, that means I really want to discard the current state. That's exactly why I'm doing it.

At least you could have put an underscore accelarator there like Create snapshot of the... which would be then accessible by Alt+C. But no. You want to cause hard times for your users in the name of safety or God knows what kind of buzzword or idealism.

Please remove that checkbox ASAP or create an option to disable it!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@highbaser
I don't think you got in the forums with the right foot, you have a serious anger management issue for your 1st post. I'd suggest you calm down a bit, tone it down a little, all right?

You know that VirtualBox is an open-source project, right? Well, you should put your money where your mouth is and either supply a patch to address this, or become an Oracle customer. That will take about 6100 $ (61 $/license, 100 licenses minimum).

I've been wanting this option to show up as well. I was talking with a developer just two days ago, and I mentioned that I might take it up on myself to do the necessary source code changes. I'm not a C programmer and it might take me some time. But I'm going to try and actually do something about it, rather than simply bitching and moaning from the sidelines.