VM control from taskbar icon

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
nowell29

VM control from taskbar icon

Post by nowell29 »

I have been using and have come to rely on seamless mode. I run a openSUSE host and XP Pro guest. There is always the little icon that says that the guest additions are installed. It would be great if we could put a menu on that that will allow you the controls of running the vm as if in the origianl window (not in seamless mode). It would be nice to get a menu on that that would allow you to mount or unmount your drives/images/CDROMS, associate USB hardware, etc..
I know I can do a few of these from command line, but that is not as user friendly or quick. I love VirtualBox!
nowell29

Post by nowell29 »

Wow, doesn't anybody else see this as a benefit? Perhaps seamless mode is not as used as I had thought.
I understand it would mean that control to the VM could essentially be given to a client. But perhaps this could be more reasonable and safer done by placing the icon in the host's task bar with a menu.
When a window is running with the client inside, I can control disk mounts, USB devices, etc, but if I am using seamless mode it is command line or nothing. Even the VM settings and launcher has no control over the machine if in seamless mode.
If anybody who is in the development would be interested, I could fabricate a screen shot of what it could look like.
bobpaul
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Other

Post by bobpaul »

I have to second this request. I also use vbox in seamless mode. It would be really great if I could exit saving snapshot and adjust things like share folders, usb devices--this is common for me--shared folders, etc without having to leave seamless mode.

The VirtualBox systray icon seems the best place for this as it is totally unused. VMWare has all of it's menus in the tray icon and it doesn't even have a seamless mode.

Ideally, though, there would be some other interface to pop this up from, as I would like to see the programs list integrated into the Host OSs application list, removing the need for a task bar, and the start menu replaced with a floating icon or similar on the Host OS. Parallels on OS X has the right idea with the start menu as an applet on the doc. For now, though, these menu entries should be added to the tray icon.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Most of these things can be accessed by useing the Host key + HOME. This will bring up the menubar as a context menu and allows you to mount cdroms/floppies, attach USB devices and quit amongst the options there are. This is written when you first enter Seamless and Full Screen as a warning.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
bobpaul
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux, Other

Post by bobpaul »

Sasquatch wrote:Most of these things can be accessed by useing the Host key + HOME. This will bring up the menubar as a context menu and allows you to mount cdroms/floppies, attach USB devices and quit amongst the options there are. This is written when you first enter Seamless and Full Screen as a warning.
Oh, thank you. That is most helpful. I already filed a bug report for a feature enhancement (ticket #1836), but the existence of Host key + HOME makes this need both less pressing and I should think easier to implement. Right clicking on the on the guest additions icon simply needs to trigger the same function triggered by the hotkey. Onetime warnings are easily forgotten and the guest icon is an obvious point of interaction that most users will try at some point.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

Not everyone installs the GA, or runs a GUI (e.g. Linux Server) so there is no VB icon. AFAIK, that icon is only on Windows Guests. I believe it would be better to have a bar come up with these menu items like you have with RDP and set it to auto hide at the top of the screen (centered).
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
astrix
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows Xp

Re: VM control from taskbar icon

Post by astrix »

Here are a VB6 Code for Change the VM VirtualBox TaskBar Icon:

http://www.astrology7.com/downloads/Cha ... askbar.zip