Attach to Workspace

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
primetime

Attach to Workspace

Post by primetime »

How about making Virtualbox attach itself to a workspace (when running multiple workspaces in Linux)

You can run Virtualbox in fullscreen on a workspace but should be able to easily move to another workspace once you finish working with the guest OS. (Cool effect is running Beryl and you just flip to your guest OS)

The problem lies in that when Virtualbox is running fullscreen, every keystroke and mouse movement is captured, so you can't be able to do the necessary keystrokes that the host requires to flip to another workspace. You could do <Host key>+F which puts virtualbox into a window, but what I am suggesting is that there should be some sort of "handle"/"release" which doesn't put virtualbox into a window, but releases the mouse and keyboard so that it can be used by the Host OS so that the host OS can flip to another workspace.

Sorry for the long winded explanation, I just wanted to describe my suggestion.
bodhi.zazen
Volunteer

Post by bodhi.zazen »

This is a good idea, but the challenge is each window manager is somewhat different in the way one changes workspaces.

One thought is, once a machine is put into full screen, it attaches to a desktop, There could be some kind of key combination (similar to the "Host Key") to send mouse or keyboard events, possibly in combination with transparency.

So say hit The "windows" key and the full screen guest interface would fade to 50 % transparency and mouse and keyboard events would be directed to the Host rather then the guest. With almost any window manager that would suffice, although you would need to send keyboard commands for say Rat Poison.

This would also allow quick access to the host.
If is a virtual machine, is it still broken ?