Adjustable Soundbuffers for low latency sound

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
DeiF
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Adjustable Soundbuffers for low latency sound

Post by DeiF »

After a closer code inspection and some tests I can conclude that these settings have no effect on audio.

First, that part of the code where it says #ifdef HIGH_LATENCY only gets compiled if HIGH_LATENCY is defined somewhere, which is not the case. A quick search through the source code reveals that HIGH_LATENCY is only mentioned in "alsaaudio.c" and always after "#ifdef". There isn't a "#define HIGH_LATENCY" anywhere.

Second, I've done some tests increasingly reducing DEFAULT_BUFFER_SIZE and DEFAULT_PERIOD_SIZE down to 64 and 16 respectively (from 1024 and 256) and there isn't any appreciable reduction in latency. For my system it seems always to be around 250ms.

:(
personal1984
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Post by personal1984 »

gentle kick...

I want to keep my system clean from unwanted network access, and as far as i know when testing vmware under windows, vmware does more unwanted network access to the internet.

I also noticed that Virtual Box does access to dyndns.com, why?
malamors

Post by malamors »

Possibly i have a soloution for you, but it is a completly other workaround like that what you did.

It is only working with a vm wich has a bidirectional Network interface installed.
My workaround is not useing any physical passthrue soloutions like usb, or pci passthru.
In stead it usees realtime multitrack streaming over the (virtual network). Virtual Box is not the best choice for this, because it´s network devices dont support jumbo frames. For me the latency is low enogh. It would be about 5-20 ms with 16bit-48khz and up 128 Input/output streams (depending on your system configuration and hardware).

For the Audio streaming you chouse one of the pro-Audio-realtime-Streaming Programms.
I am using "jack2-audio" and "net-jack2" for this Job, because it is opensource and implemented on many os-versions (Linux, Win, OSX)

1. firsth you Need to install your Audio and midi Hardware on your host Computer or on an other Computer wich is conected to your vm by LAN. W-LAN is NOT working for this Job!!!

2. Install and configure the Jack-Software on the Computer, where your Audio Hardware is located. -This is your net-jack server

3. Install and configure the Jack Software on your vm! -This is your net-jack Client

4. configurate your net-jack conection!

5. Start your net-jack server

6. start the client and conect to the server!

7. optimate your net-jack conection and write a skript to atomate the steps 5-6!

8. Have fun with your low latency pro audio system.

9. ps: if needed you can include more then one audio devie into the system.

If you have Questions or like some unkompiled and editable Skripts, write me a message!