Virtualized Bridge Support

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
shinji
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Starter

Virtualized Bridge Support

Post by shinji »

This is something of a must for those of us that want the adapter to bridge to a network that is coming from a wireless adapter. Most wireless adapters do not support promiscuous mode properly and mine is no exception to this. VMWare and Parallels have both implemented a form of virtual bridge that does not try to put the adapter in this state. Can you please implement this feature in a future version?

BTW, I'm going to try a few more things with getting my bridge to work. I cam across a blog posting which may get it to work since it shows how you can prevent windows from placing the adapter in promiscuous mode.
shinji
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Starter

Post by shinji »

Ok. I would still like this implemented for other reasons and to prevent this small headache from reappearing again but you can get around lack of connectivity issue via the following article.

Microsoft has a knowledge base article that says how to do this and it does work getting around the previous problem of lack of connectivity.

Bridge May Not Work With a Non-Promiscuous Mode Network Adapter
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302348

This article also suggests that this may not affect just wireless adapters.

As for how to get the Virtual Machine to see the connection? Set the adapter in the Virtual Machine config to the VirtualBox Host Interface that you created as normal. The Virtual Machine will request the ip address as normal but it will end up at the router for assignment.