Automated periodic snapshots

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.

Do you want automatic periodic snapshots?

Yes
44%
No
56%
What are you talking about?
No votes

Total votes: 16

laser

Automated periodic snapshots

Post by laser »

Facing the prospect of losing about 8 hours of work today when my VM crashed, and kicking myself for not taking a snapshot earlier in the day :oops: , I would *REALLY* appreciate a feature that enabled VB to automatically take a "powered-on" snapshot of my VM periodically.

For example, it could be a property in the virtual machine settings...

"Automatically take snapshot every: 30 minutes (set to 0 to disable)"

Please complete the poll above to vote for this feature.

Kind regards,

laser
laser

Post by laser »

I have submitted the symptoms of the crashed VM in the bug tracker as ticket #712.

Kind regards,

laser
kjpetrie
Primary OS: PCLinuxOS
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: PCLinuxOS, Windows XP, Windows Server 2008, Unity Linux

Post by kjpetrie »

The trouble is snapshots slow the machine down badly. What happens is that the .vdi file is fixed and all further data is written to a changes file. This means the two files have to be compared before data can be read or written, which takes a lot longer. Snapshots are fine for saving the machine state temporarily while testing something you're not sure of, but they're not a good backup technique. For that you need to make a proper copy of the .vdi file and store it somewhere safe.
VirtualBox OSE on PCLinuxOS 2010 on Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard (Atom 330), 2GB DDR2 RAM, Maxtor STM325031, Hitachi CDR-7930, ?HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N, Amilo LSL 3220T monitor, Speedtouch 330 DSL modem