Drag and Drop in VirtualBox?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
velrum
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP

Re: Drag and Drop in VirtualBox?

Post by velrum »

mpack wrote:
Xympa wrote:Almost 5 years after the start of this topic the status remains the same?
If you read the thread then you may understand the reasons that lead to the reluctance to implement this feature. Those reasons are still valid after five years, and may well remain valid after 50 years.
The reasons being that the people who make the software don't want to make it good?
velrum
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP

Re:

Post by velrum »

atomica wrote:I also hope this will be implemented. This is the only function that I miss from Microsoft Virtual PC.

Although sharing folders makes it easy to copy over files, nothing beats drag and drop.
If you are still around: You can try VMwares free "player" it supports this (despite the name being "player" its a product which runs a virtual machine, but i guess you could say it playes different OS's :)
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

velrum wrote:The reasons being that the people who make the software don't want to make it good?
Or maybe not every feature that's useful to a few people (disclaimer: I'm not one of those) is actually worth implementing. Especially if it means not implementing something else instead. It may surprise you, but the VirtualBox development resources aren't infinite.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

velrum wrote:The reasons being that the people who make the software don't want to make it good?
"Good" is a subjective evaluation. Personally I have no interest in drag and drop, but I do worry about the potential security holes introduced by the underlying data copying mechanisms that would need to exist.
DNS
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: xp win7

Post by DNS »

@Velrum

If you bothered to lookup the new features in the upcoming version, you'll realize that this is being added incrementally for all guest types.
Twisted Lucidity
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Various GNU/Linux

Post by Twisted Lucidity »

If you need this feature urgently, then you could always contact Oracle and offer to fund accelerated development. Or as DNS says, you could simply wait.

Personally I just use a shared folder, but then I have little need for drag-n-drop. In WMWare I use it maybe once every two weeks.

Also note that VM Player is seriously limited when compared to VBox.
A new account for an old user.