Use Physical disk

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

It doesn't matter whether the USB was a disk or flash. Same problem. Just because the Host FS chkdsks OK, doesn't mean that the FS insidewill. Entropy. If it's corrupted in a way that doing a chkdsk /f C: can't repair booting your VM from your XP media in recovery mode, then I think that you are out of luck. If you haven't got a backup then you may still be able to add a second new VDI and in recovery mode, use fdisk to partition it, format it and try to xcopy critical file from your corrupt FS onto this.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
dmonder

Post by dmonder »

TerryE wrote:It doesn't matter whether the USB was a disk or flash. Same problem. Just because the Host FS chkdsks OK, doesn't mean that the FS insidewill. Entropy. If it's corrupted in a way that doing a chkdsk /f C: can't repair booting your VM from your XP media in recovery mode, then I think that you are out of luck. If you haven't got a backup then you may still be able to add a second new VDI and in recovery mode, use fdisk to partition it, format it and try to xcopy critical file from your corrupt FS onto this.
I am confused. I can browse the file system and see every file that was created when I installed XP. All the files seem fine. I can copy to the drive and use the drive on my local machine just fine. This same file system is considered corrupt by VBox. This is not a container for the file system, but the actual file system.
aquarius
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP

Post by aquarius »

dmonder, what if you just create another vmdk descriptor for the drive? And a new virtual machine? Does VirtualBox still complain? What version are you using?
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

AAAAHH. I've just realised that I've missed a fundamental point. You've got a VMDK mapped raw partition and the raw partition file system is OK. This is not the VDI scenario as I was discussing. So the advice of aquarius is correct. Release the VMDK and delete it then recreate a new raw VMDK using the createrawvmdk as discussed in the User Guide.

Sorry for being thick.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.