Seamless feature suggestion

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
euclidsbrother

Seamless feature suggestion

Post by euclidsbrother »

I LOVE the seamless mode. Having windows apps running on my ubuntu desktop is really nice..

I have only one thought to make it even better. In the settings of the virtual machine, allow the selection of a color key, and when in seamless mode, put a single pixel border around the window from that VM. For anyone that doesn't want that, can select "No border".

The purpose of this is:
When runing multiple VM's in seamless mode, the color coded border will let you know which VM the window belongs to. This will also help distinguish guest apps from host apps if they are both the same OS.

I think this would be a great addition to an already great application.

Any thoughts?

-EB
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

I think this idea is taken from VMware Workstation 6.5
euclidsbrother

Post by euclidsbrother »

really?.. i've never used the workstation version of vmware. This was just an idea i had after seeing how the seamless mode worked..
stephanecharette
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu-64bit, Windows

Post by stephanecharette »

If you have multiple Windows VMs, can't you change the theme in Windows to be different? That way the applications will be themed differently?

Stéphane
lonestaritaly

Post by lonestaritaly »

Hello,

What would be really great for seamless mode is true integration of guest windows with host's window manager, with guest windows going into host's task bar and *without* the ugly windows taskbar being imported into the host desktop.
Entity
Primary OS: Mandriva
Guest OSses: xp,mandriva,ubuntu,vista,7

Post by Entity »

lonestaritaly wrote:Hello,

What would be really great for seamless mode is true integration of guest windows with host's window manager, with guest windows going into host's task bar and *without* the ugly windows taskbar being imported into the host desktop.
+1 on that!
euclidsbrother

Post by euclidsbrother »

stephanecharette wrote:If you have multiple Windows VMs, can't you change the theme in Windows to be different? That way the applications will be themed differently?

Stéphane
Good idea.. hadn't thought of that.. I'll give it a try and see how it works.. Thanks..
euclidsbrother

Post by euclidsbrother »

lonestaritaly wrote:Hello,

That's a nice idea too, but it will also need to add some kind of app menu launcher thingy majig to the task bar, so you can launch your programs or get to your windows deskop if needed..

i like it..
mabra
Primary OS: MS Windows 2008
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ALL !

Re: Seamless feature suggestion

Post by mabra »

Hi All !

Ok, the main entries here are from?? 2009 !!!!
Is there really that bad thinking about users wishes ?

It would be a big thing for me too, especially, sometimes I am working
with several VMs at the same time !

Cheers,
Manfred
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Seamless feature suggestion

Post by socratis »

mabra wrote:Is there really that bad thinking about users wishes ?
No, not at all. It simply doesn't pay the bills ;)
Which means are lower priority compared to customers' wishes.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.