Feature Requests

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

AFAIK "mount" command requires kernel (or FUSE) support to work. That is, because the cygwin kernel lacks both FUSE *and* smbfs support, it won't work.

The cygwin kernel uses Windows kernel features in terms of filesystems (plus adds POSIX capabilities), but cygwin kernel won't allow you to use something like smbfs or ext3. It's not Linux.

Also all the symlinks will be visible only from inside cygwin, not from Windows.
kilou

Post by kilou »

Oh OK, so I forget Cygwin as well. Turning this upside down in my head I wondered why it was not possible to directly access raw drives from the VM and thought that it was because the virtual hard disk is seen as a separate hardisk and thus has its own MBR. Now would it be possible by some mean to modify the MBR of the virtual hard disk so that it can see the other raw partitions?? The benefit of this would be that we could place /mnt/ramdisk on its own EXT3 partition and access it with IFS driver from XP guest and place the page file on it...
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

You can't mix physical and Virtual partitions.
kilou

Post by kilou »

It seems we cannot place the pagefile on a network drive because when booting XP the pagefile is initiated before the network so XP cannot place the pagefile on a drive that doesn't exist at that time so it forces the use of C: as default. Now we'd need to either:

- delay the creation of pagefile after the initialization of network drives

or

- start XP with no pagefile and create it via a script after login but without needing to reboot for the changes to take effect

or

- start network initialization before the initialization of pagefile (like creating network in autoexec.bat ???)

If anyone knows if this is possible to do and how please post!
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

Well, now with 1.4.0 it may be possible, because theoretically you can use physical partitions now.

That is we can make disk D: in Windows guest and mount it to /mnt/ramdisk on host.
Vlczech

Post by Vlczech »

What about the virtualization the second OS (or others) on dual boot? Is that real or no? I think it would be very good, i could use installed programs, all the settings of OS and all files and discs, like i would be booted in this OS. I'll welcome this feature.
reiner1992

Post by reiner1992 »

It would be great if the following features could be implemented in the next release/bug-fix:

1. Drag and Drop from any Host OS to any Guest OS
2. Differential Disks
3. User Interface update (read my suggestion "User Interface Update")
4. Simplify storing virtual machines/Virtual Hard Drives on external USB Drives (read laser's suggestion "simplify storing machines/VDI on external USB Drives)
5. para-virtualization with different OS

Thanks in Advance
BakaBomber

Post by BakaBomber »

1. Seamless Mode for X Windows guests
2. Seamless Mode automatic adjusting of the desktop so host icons and the guest taskbar aren't overlapped.
3. (probably-futile request) Windows 9x guest additions
4. Able to use physical partitions within VirtualBox and still be able to dual-boot from them