BUG REPORT: 64-Bit Solaris 10 guest does not work

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

BUG REPORT: 64-Bit Solaris 10 guest does not work

Post by sej7278 »

I can't seem to find any bugtracker, so I'm reporting this here in the hope that someone from Sun see's it - I guess "Suggestions" is a better place than the "Other guest" forum?

The bug comes from this forum thread: http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=45350

Basically on a 64-Bit host CPU+OS, Solaris 10u5 or 10u6 have serious problems running. This is on Vista and Fedora9 host OSes.

The 10u6 install seems to go OK, except for a warning about the default boot device changing in the BIOS at the end of the install. The first boot never completes, you get a "bad PBR" message.

With 10u5 you can get through first boot, but if you install a patch cluster to upgrade the kernel, you end up in the same position as 10u6 - no more boot. If you install Guest Additions you end up with no X11.

I thought it might be a SATA issue, but you're no better off with IDE, you do seem to get different error messages though - which I've since lost, something about being unable to identify hd?

With the VT-X option disabled, or a 32-Bit host you can install Solaris 10u6, kernel patches and Guest Additions, it basically works fine (not tried SATA yet).

Seemless mode goes nuts though - basically takes over the whole screen and then flicks between the menubar and the host OS desktop.

In regular "console window" mode, maximising/minimising the VirtualBox window causes gnome_segv to die.

Fullscreen mode doesn't stretch to fit the screen e.g. 1024x768 guest window doesn't switch to 1280x1024 host viewport.

So Guest Additions still don't really work either, but I guess that's a separate issue.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

You can find the bug tracker on the main site. See the VirtualBox FAQ for a link to the system. You need a separate account for it though.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
sej7278
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

created ticket 2604, which links back to this thread for additional details.

http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2604