Get rid of NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005) as an error code

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Get rid of NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005) as an error code

Post by scottgus1 »

It means absolutely nothing for diagnosing issues among the users, because every Virtualbox error under the sun starts with it. But all the new users think they're really on to something when they post their troubles, and then only give the NS error and the UUID that doesn't lead anywhere... :lol:

What say to remove the lines in the error messages that refer to it?
AndyCot

Re: Get rid of NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0X80004005) as an error code

Post by AndyCot »

fth0 has posted info on this where the issue is with the soruce code in a post (cannot find it in the searching due to way too many ....4005 references). The anaysis was very good and the commentary on the code alayised why the issues is now being seen only since 6.1.xx due to an if change.

The error code needs to be there for debugging and logging, but it needs to indicate the real problem being detected and not an incorrect one.

Better to check if the devs have already fixed the code based on fth0's post.
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

AndyCot wrote:fth0 has posted [...]. The anaysis was very good
Thanks! :) I'm afraid that holds true for too many of my posts to identify it (shameless plug). :D
AndyCot wrote:Better to check if the devs have already fixed the code based on fth0's post.
I haven't recognized what post you're talking about. But scottgus1 is talking about the totality of all issues delivering this Result Code, not a specific incarnation of them, and I wouldn't expect any changes having taken place on my behalf in this generic code so far (see UIErrorString::errorInfoToString()).
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Yes, I can feel the pain - seen it myself so many times that users are so thrilled about having an error code that they forgot to provide the actual error message text which would be 100 times more useful. In theory there should be (almost) no error without error message text - except for low level failures detected by COM/XPCOM such as process crashes.

The problem is that the error code does provide information (since there are other error codes, too). Just a lot less than most people think.