Add friendly name for Network Adapter

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
DenisF

Add friendly name for Network Adapter

Post by DenisF »

Hello,

Is it possible to add a friendly name for Network Adapter?
So the tool menu show "Device"-"Network"-"Connect My Friendly Name" and not "Connect Network Adapter x".
I'm used to make for all my VM, Network Adapter 1 attached to NAT, NA2 bridged to wired adapter, NA3 bridged to WIFI adapter and NA4 attached to Host-Only.

In same time if windows Addon could rename adapter using these reg:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_100E&SUBSYS_001E8086&REV_02\3&267a616a&0&18]
"Driver"="{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\\0003"
"FriendlyName"="My Friendly Name"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0003]
"DriverDesc"="My Friendly Name"

These values are used by some software to select from where they have to connect to hardware. (like SIEMENS TIA)

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Add friendly name for Network Adapter

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox has no influence on how an OS labels devices.
DenisF

Post by DenisF »

First, I asked for a Friendly Name in VB GUI, no needs to do with host OS. This can be set by allowing tab name edit. And use that name in all occurrences.

Second (optional) is only for windows guest. So the Guest Additions manage it by changing reg values.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

DenisF wrote:I asked for a Friendly Name in VB GUI, no needs to do with host OS. This can be set by allowing tab name edit. And use that name in all occurrences.
So what you'd need is a custom translation file to take the card names provided by the host OS and determine the 'friendly' name shown in Virtualbox. You'd have to fill up this list by yourself. This could be programmed, sure.

But you'd have to post an enhancement request on the Bugtracker. Do not expect it to be jumped on immediately, as the devs usually have to handle the bugs that come along as OS's change etc.

Or you could program it yourself and submit the code. User code is considered for inclusion.
DenisF wrote:Second (optional) is only for windows guest. So the Guest Additions manage it by changing reg values.
The Virtualbox network cards appearing in the VM are virtual, not related to the physical cards in the host OS. Changing the name of the Virtualbox card would require re-wiring the drivers provided by the VM OS. You wouldn't need to see a 'friendly' name for such a card unless you had installed Virtualbox in the VM and were trying nested virtualization, at which the first idea's 'friendly' name translation file would take over. So this doesn't need to be implemented in Guest Additions, only in Virtualbox. Availability is as above for the first idea.