Is the captured mouse cursor bug considered low priority?

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Ben321

Is the captured mouse cursor bug considered low priority?

Post by Ben321 »

I reported it officially in the bug tracker at https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/20794 but the last update to it is a comment I posted the same day I uploaded it. In other words, no actual VBox developer has taken up this task of fixing this bug (if they did, it would get marked as such on the bug report ticket). Why is this captured mouse cursor bug seemingly considered such a low-importance bug by the VBox dev team?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Is the captured mouse cursor bug considered low priority?

Post by mpack »

I imagine it becomes a priority when paying customers complain about it. One unhappy user of the free download doth not an emergency make, especially when the devs have more important stuff going on, such as new versions of Windows and MacOS coming out at the same time, and the continuing battles with Hyper-v.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

I reported major issue with 6.1.28 and I stopped looking after 2 months for any updates from anyone at Oracle. I think you need to have a look at the outstanding tickets and see how important yours is relative to all of the others and then have a look at how long it takes for tickets to be acknowledged by Oracle and NOT other free end users to see how the tickets are potentially processed.

If you want real support then like any software that is mission critical you need to have a support agreement with someone for issues that occur and this includes open source. In the case of VB you can get a commercial support from Oracle and then you will be able to talk/email a Oracle employee and try to get the issue resolved with a reasonable time frame. But as for free users we just have to wait and wait and zzzzz until the issue get high enough for it to appear on Oracle's SDLC radar and hope it stays there until it is fixed.

The other option is to grab the source code and fix the bug yourself or hire someone to fix it and then submit a patch.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

A personal corollary to "Never attribute to malice..."

"Never attribute to malice what can be attributed to lack of person-power."

Oracle's Virtualbox department may simply not have enough developers. They were advertising for developers relatively recently.

The devs have said that they also sometimes forget or are too swamped (i.e. too-low developer count, see above) to get back to marking off the Bugtracker reports.

One essential thing your Bugtracker ticket does not have is a vbox.log of the run of the VM where the problem is demonstrated. An audio narration track in your video might help.