Adding Percentage CPU allocation

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
NxtDaemon

Adding Percentage CPU allocation

Post by NxtDaemon »

bit of a specific thing ; so if you feel as if this is negligible feel free to delete it. but I think when making a vm appliance into an OVA format having it allocate things like memory and cpu cores would be nice to be a percentage choice via the users decision

Use Case:
if you are moving a VM to a new machine with more cores it could automatically calculate the value of cores to assign e.g on a 12-core cpu allocate 6 and on a 8-core cpu allocate 4.

Considerations
whilst I think this would be a nice addition I do recognise that it is very little effort to change it manually and that this feature is not needed ; just think it would be nice :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Adding Percentage CPU allocation

Post by mpack »

I deleted your poll, since we generally don't consider "vox pops" useful, at least not without at least some prior discussion of the facts.

VirtualBox already has a CPU execution cap feature in the VM settings (System|Processor). I believe your suggestion would create confusion with that.

CPU is more usually allocated in integral number of cores, not as a percentage.

Also, users do not generally use OVA export to move VMs to new hosts. OVA is only needed when exporting to third party platforms (VMWare, etc). OVA export changes the VM, which is not what most people want.

Also, the fact that a new host has more cores is no reason to assign them to a VM. If the VM already has all the cores it needs then giving it more simply wastes cores and slows the VM down. VMs tend to work best with 2 cores, so unless your host only has 2 cores or less then there isn't much reason to play with that number.