Please fix the upload limit message on this forum

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
lothario

Please fix the upload limit message on this forum

Post by lothario »

I've wasted the past 15 minutes trying to upload a screenshot that was too big.

First the forum returned an error that the maximum upload size is 2MB, due to the php.ini setting. So I tweaked my screenshot to bring it to under 1MB.

Then I got a second error message, The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB.

At this point, I'll have to use an external image hosting service, but what's annoying is the first misleading message.

Please fix this and set the PHP upload limit to 128KiB and be done with it.

Or get on with the times and allow larger uploads.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Please fix the upload limit message on this forum

Post by mpack »

The limit is deliberate, it will not be changing.

It exists precisely in order to prevent people from, among other things, uploading excessively high rez and unclipped screenshots.

The confusing error message thing: you should maybe raise that on a phpBB support forum.

And btw: external images are blocked too, for security reasons.
OkieDan

Post by OkieDan »

lothario wrote:I've wasted the past 15 minutes trying to upload a screenshot that was too big.

First the forum returned an error that the maximum upload size is 2MB, due to the php.ini setting. So I tweaked my screenshot to bring it to under 1MB.

Then I got a second error message, The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 128 KiB.

At this point, I'll have to use an external image hosting service, but what's annoying is the first misleading message.

Please fix this and set the PHP upload limit to 128KiB and be done with it.

Or get on with the times and allow larger uploads.
That's definitely annoying. Maybe plebs like us are limited to 129 KiB while users with greater permissions can actually upload 2MB files, or other php pages unrelated to the forum exist on same PHP server and need to allow up to 2MB files. Suggesting you raise issue on a phpBB support forum is rather insulting though when the website admin here is the one who controls what's in the php.ini file.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

All us posters in green have the same upload permissions as the posters in bright blue and dark blue. And none of us have permissions to change the way the forum works.
OkieDan

Post by OkieDan »

scottgus1 wrote:All us posters in green have the same upload permissions as the posters in bright blue and dark blue. And none of us have permissions to change the way the forum works.
Yeah, you need a website admin, not a forum admin, to change php.ini.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

OkieDan wrote:Suggesting you raise issue on a phpBB support forum is rather insulting though
The issue I said to raise was very specific. The VirtualBox dev's job is to work on VirtualBox, not on the phpBB forum software. If you find reality insulting then too bad.
OkieDan

Post by OkieDan »

mpack wrote:
OkieDan wrote:Suggesting you raise issue on a phpBB support forum is rather insulting though
The issue I said to raise was very specific. The VirtualBox dev's job is to work on VirtualBox, not on the phpBB forum software. If you find reality insulting then too bad.
My apologies for calling it insulting, I figured you understood the problem but you didn't. Php.ini is a php web server config file, not a phpBB config file. There was never an issue that the OP should have posted about on a phpBB forum, all they would have said is that a website admin here would have to edit the php.ini file to make the web server upload limit match the 128KiB upload limit of the forum so the end user doesn't get conflicting information.

Do you know the proper channel to notify the website admin(s) for the web server that's hosting this forum to let them know about issues only they can fix?