DSDT size limitation (unchanged since forever)

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
nsmfoo

DSDT size limitation (unchanged since forever)

Post by nsmfoo »

Hi all,

Over the years this has been brought up in cases like this, ticket: 15043 (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/15043)
But 5+ years nothing seems to have been done on the subject.

So I'm mostly wondering, if there is an actual plan to increase the size?

One VBOX dev commented 5 years ago "The maximum size of 64KB applies to all ACPI tables together, not only the DSDT! This is a limitation of the code which need to be raised eventually."

Either that or perhaps remove the possibility altogether? Obviously I vote to increase the size, as there are a bunch of us that did use this function rather frequently when analysing malware and needed a system that looked as "real" as possible, over the years it has become so much harder to find old hardware that would function within the size limit.

I would gladly test any beta build that might contain a change, just let me know what you need and I will help out!

Best Regards
Mikael
Last edited by scottgus1 on 2. May 2021, 23:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added Bugtracker ticket link
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: DSDT size limitation (unchanged since forever)

Post by scottgus1 »

Interesting need, nsmfoo!Just to let you know, wWe aren't developers here on the forum, just users, so we couldn't drive this change ourselves. You did post on the ticket, hopefully a dev may respond. FWIW the devs never reveal plans or timelines, only accomplishments and fixes.
sirbecalo

Post by sirbecalo »

this is so sad.. im losing all hope in the devs. 8+ years!
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

sirbecalo, you also posted on the bugtracker ticket, which is good (though it was just a complaint).

As pointed out above:
scottgus1 wrote:We aren't developers here on the forum, just users, so we couldn't drive this change ourselves.