VirtualBox Discord Server

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
ProCaller A.J

VirtualBox Discord Server

Post by ProCaller A.J »

Hello! I suggest that we set up a discord server so people can easily get help or discuss with each other about their VM's. That way, people who need help can get it fast, and no waiting needed if a user posts a question on the forum. If there is not already one, I set up a template we can use: discord.gg/raMMUnd

Thanks,
ProCaller A.J
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: VirtualBox Discord Server

Post by scottgus1 »

Interesting concept! It appears that speed of response is important to you.

Discord appears to be a social media chat platform.

"no waiting needed" seems to imply that someone would be sitting there waiting to respond to folks.

Who would do that in your setup? And if you don't have someone waiting there all the time, how will fast response occur?
ProCaller A.J

Post by ProCaller A.J »

Thanks, scottgus1! I was thinking that as the server grows, people will get themselves a role that shows what types of VM's they specialize in. For example, if a user has a Solaris Help role, people who need help with a Solaris VM can mention that role to get help from other users that are currently online.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

I don't suppose there would be any reason why setting something like that up couldn't be done by anyone who wants to. Folks ask and answer (somewhat inaccurately at times) questions about Virtualbox on Stack Exchange.

But honestly it sounds to me like it would just be a duplicate of the Virtualbox forum, on Discord instead of phpBB. You'd still need to get someone willing to wait there for questions, or the quick response time would fall off. (FWIW the Virtualbox forums are almost completely handled by volunteer fellow Virtualbox users, not Oracle personnel.)

Also, splitting discussion across multiple platforms could dilute the troubleshooting so that solutions and workarounds would take longer in coming.

And if the social media angle is the push, with the 'notifications' when help is needed, one can subscribe to the different Virtualbox subforums to know when a post is made, and attach their email account they use for Virtualbox to their phone. Old-school but still effective.

In each subforum there's lots of questioners, and a few gurus who provide most of the answers, which seems would satisfy the need for people with 'roles' to help with particular needs.

How else would Discord benefit where the forum is falling short?