Scaled View (with locked aspect ratio)

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
boma23

Scaled View (with locked aspect ratio)

Post by boma23 »

Hi All,

It would be really nice to have an additional Scaled View menu button option that also locks the aspect ratio when scaling.

That's it! Thanks for a great product!

Regards,
Dom
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Scaled View (with locked aspect ratio)

Post by mpack »

Eh? ... I'm pretty sure it does that anyway. AFAIK scaling is always uniform in both dimensions (assuming you don't drag the window border to an odd size), which obviously will preserve the aspect ratio. Can you offer examples where you've seen otherwise?

Welcome aboard btw.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If the "Scaled view" you have in mind is "Scaled Mode" in the guest window's View menu (Host key + C), that Scaled Mode is not aspect-ratio-locked. This would, in my opinion, be a good feature to add.

The Bugtracker is the place to post enhancement requests. However, a dose of reality: This would get implemented only if Oracle's paying customers also want it, or if someone contributes the code for it. The devs have said they don't have resources to add or work on things from free Virtualbox users, unless the free users contribute good code.
World Domination Studios

Post by World Domination Studios »

I agree with this 100%, with the added request that scaled mode hide/overwrite the host machine's task bar (so it would, in effect, just be a scaled form of fullscreen mode), or that it be made possible to run scaled and fullscreen modes simultaneously to get this effect.