Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Fielding

Re: Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Post by Fielding »

Scottgus the problem is solved.
I am going to explain how I solve for the rest of members.

I think you are not a helper . Only a boss of forum. No helping really.
Best Regards
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Fielding wrote:I think you are not a helper . Only a boss of forum. No helping really.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Lots of others disagree with you though. And I will still be able to sleep tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl7U2jy1wMQ

Your English is hard to understand. Please use your native language if you ever return, and we may be able to understand each other better.

(Mod note: I seem to have picked up my first detractor! :lol: )
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

He has a false impression anyway. These are user discussion forums, nobody is obliged to provide help, not even moderators. Our only actual duty is to keep the forums neat and tidy and free from abusive posts and spam.

Many of us do also volunteer to help people with problems. But when the inefficiency of writing the same stuff over and over again (for those too lazy to search) begins to irk, we write a FAQ and point people to that instead. So suck it up and read the damn FAQ.

What we will do is respond to criticisms of the FAQ, i.e. how understandable it is. It's in our interests to ensure that it's easily understood, and will be much more so than any off the cuff response could be. Most FAQs get finely tuned over a period of years to do their job better. That includes keeping the language simple so that online translation works better.

All the more irksome then when someone claims offence at being directed to the obvious FAQ because... laziness is a virtue?

Guess what: the FAQ is there for a reason. If you refuse to use FAQs then that's your choice, not our problem at all.
Oracleiscool
Guest OSses: Windows 11 22H2

Post by Oracleiscool »

Hi Team and All;

Suggest a catagory for Windows Security. Currently, with Windows 11 rollout and the subsequent security features being added by MS for the "zero trust" platform (as they release the product). And, by association, the fact that a lot of those changes will eventually migrate into the update channel for Windows 10 until 2025, we really need a place to discuss, or at least give some reference points and links to the MS documents as they continue to explain their new security level(s).

It is a moving target that has exposed more security settings to us normal users at a level not previously seen by us. I guess they call it standard vs. enhanced. So does "zero trust" equal either security level or just enhanced? Or are they linked? And obviously, how does this effect the operation of VirtualBox and it's VirtualMachines
(Either Host or Guest)?

Normally, MS will hyper-focus their team on their community forums where we normally would ask questions that are not specific to a root problem, but instead probe their professionals about where they are (and where they are headed) in relation to our equipment, and what we can do vs. what we should not do, or can, but it will break a trust routine and take "zero trust" to "BSOD" or "Brick".

I know everyone is busy, so please don't rush the response to this suggestion, just think about it, as I think zero trust has become zero communications from MS, unless they know who you are (and not a hacker trying to steal stuff!) before they answer. :idea:
Oracleiscool

Post by Oracleiscool »

I am not real happy with the lack of response on the part of MS concerning my previous post regarding their impending direction on security.

As the new Windows rollout continues, their security team keeps mentioning more security chips (besides TPM) and more virtual machine op code to basically "containerize" Windows, to the exclusion of all other code on the same device (to include VirtualBox).

Their goal is to lockout anything other than their system. They have expressed that as their direction. Small tidbits of postings that, as the new Windows continues to rollout, and more features are added (android store?) the lockdown continues.

Just as a side to this, I went to the TCG/TPM website and re-read some of the earlier posting from all the OS system members about the "openess" of the TPM (and by design the UEFI protocol) and how we are all going to get along, hold hands around the campfire and sing kumba-ya!

Well, guess where that is headed.... and that is not a guess, it is a fact.

I get the reasoning, but to say no one else cares about all of our security no matter what the platform is a real stretch. :roll:
Oracleiscool

Post by Oracleiscool »

Hey mpack and scottgus1,

Can someone at the team leader level setup a Windows 11 and VirtualBox 7.0 discussion area for the Windows Host area?

I know there are still a lot of moving parts to work out, and since I can't actually use Windows 11, I am curious to see how Oracle Team is going to maybe "try" to get the application to run in the Windows Host space without having to neuter the enhanced security in Windows (or make the installation seamless).

I just see the forums filling up with messages in the future about (for example) "I tried to load an android app or WSL2 app or whatever, and my Windows showed an error that without enhanced security, this operation is not supported" type of deal. Hope you are all well. 8)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

We'll have a "Discuss the 7.0 Release" topic when 7.0 comes out, but not until then, I'd think. They usually wait for the release.

I suspect that the devs will give thought to whatever enhanced security 11 requires when 11 becomes a supported host, which I also think it may not be yet.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Several posts deleted.

Please do not hold extended discussions in this topic. Off topic posts here (as everywhere) will be deleted. Per the topic title, if the post is not a comment aimed at Admins or Mods, then it is off topic.
nickname1234

Error Launching Virtual Machine

Post by nickname1234 »

(mod edit: split from viewtopic.php?f=6&t=104282, where OP actually did get an accurate solution to their topic but they ignored it)

Considering this is really the only place to get any support for this software it would nice if someone would at least acknowledge that it is an issue.

We are probably going to move to VMware Workstation due the lack of any useful help or support for this software.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Re: Error Launching Virtual Machine

Post by scottgus1 »

Looks like we missed this post.

6.1.28 on Windows 10 has a bug. Roll back to 6.1.26. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1

Just as 'Steef' said above.
nickname1234 wrote:Considering this is really the only place to get any support
Considering that you were told what to do 5 days ago, and the forum is full of posts relating just your very problem and posted solutions that are there for the reading, this seems rather more your lack of desire to do diligent investigation, instead of us failing to "support" you in any way.

And these forums are run by volunteer fellow Virtualbox users who want you to succeed, not by Oracle employees (who also want you to succeed). Users of free Virtualbox like yourself are entitled to zero (0) support.
nickname1234 wrote:We are probably going to move to VMware Workstation
Knock yourself out. No threat to us if you switch hypervisors. Too bad for VMware, really, maybe I should warn them... If you don't want to read or respond to what has been posted on your topics, there is nothing we can do to help you.
nickname1234

Re: Error Launching Virtual Machine

Post by nickname1234 »

scottgus1 wrote:Looks like we missed this post.

6.1.28 on Windows 10 has a bug. Roll back to 6.1.26. https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1

Just as 'Steef' said above.
nickname1234 wrote:Considering this is really the only place to get any support
Considering that you were told what to do 5 days ago, and the forum is full of posts relating just your very problem and posted solutions that are there for the reading, this seems rather more your lack of desire to do diligent investigation, instead of us failing to "support" you in any way.

And these forums are run by volunteer fellow Virtualbox users who want you to succeed, not by Oracle employees (who also want you to succeed). Users of free Virtualbox like yourself are entitled to zero (0) support.
nickname1234 wrote:We are probably going to move to VMware Workstation
Knock yourself out. No threat to us if you switch hypervisors. Too bad for VMware, really, maybe I should warn them... If you don't want to read or respond to what has been posted on your topics, there is nothing we can do to help you.
Let me correct you here. I was NOT told what to do by anyone on this forum. I figured this out with a colleague that happened to be on an older version before anyone responded. I edited my original post with the solution before anyone responded in hopes that I could help someone else due to the lack of help from others here. This forum was not full of solutions at the time of posting because others i work with were here too looking for solutions.

I don't necessarily need support but it is nice to have staff acknowledge known issues. I mean these forums are not THAT busy that people cannot respond to a post and say this is a known issue in 6.1.28 and we hope to have a fix in a month etc.

Our developers like Virtualbox not me. You don't need to worry about me coming back here because if they continue to use this software then they are own their own. VMWare is professionally developed and I doubt I will need to ever go to support because it just works. I'm sure if I did have to go to their support there would either be a sticky note about the issue or I would get a "timely" response.

Funny that I criticize the forum and get the fastest response ever!
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

nickname1234 wrote:I edited my original post with the solution before anyone responded
Good on you! So you self-supported. Congrats! Welcome to the team! :wink:
nickname1234 wrote:it is nice to have staff acknowledge known issues.
What staff? Perhaps you missed:
scottgus1 wrote:these forums are run by volunteer fellow Virtualbox users
There's no "staff" here answering questions. Thusly you are now part of the support team because you voluntarily answered your own question.

Though the forum gurus try to respond to every post, we do miss some (because we, ya know, have lives...), and we don't always notice an edited post (which is why editing an existing post isn't a good idea, instead of posting anew, because post editing does not result in an email).

Moving this to Feedback to Moderators.
OSIAS

No Longer Boots To GUI after update.

Post by OSIAS »

(split from viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106506 after scottgus1's post here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=106506&p=520960#p520908)
Certainly seems that your wanting to be more snarky then helpful, especially when someone says there struggling with what you stated, can't fill in all the blanks or its not behaving as the articles they can find on it says it should.

With as many posts as you have accredited to your name you would figure by now you would be more organized with every tutorial and KB ready to go and linkable with steps and instructions to working knowledge. Instead I get someone who wanted to be Dave Chappelle and not the admin of the virtual box site. Maybe your triage is correct, maybe it isn't. So what if you can't provide working instructions on how to fix it that an average person can follow.

I will pass on the laughs and whatever you want to call this.

Thank You For Your Time
SolaceFiend

E: You have not enough free space /var/cache/apt/archives/

Post by SolaceFiend »

(mod edit: split from viewtopic.php?f=7&t=87960)

socratis wrote:Wait a minute... You're sitting in front of your computer, and you want me to figure it out? :shock:
How about looking at it?

Are you running VirtualBox on a headless server? There's no VirtualBox Manager, CLI only?
This user is one of the most ineffectual, anachronistic, and useless parts of this forum I have ever seen. People are actually out here having problems with their OS/VM, and trying to resolve them. And all this guy does is B!+@h and moan and complain in this conversation. Why does this user even bother to show up in these threads, if the only thing he contributes is his pointless whinging when everyone else is actually trying to communicate like rational adults.

And then I and so many others are forced to try to diagnose a VM, or an OS that can't boot up in Normal Mode, and can't resolve it with apt-get commands in a root shell, on a clean install. I'm searching around for possible avenues to fix this "clean install" and the only results I get are the immortalized whining and tantrums of this yahoo lamenting the fact that he invited himself into this conversation, just to uselessly patronize thier captive audience, and anyone else who happens to show up in this thread years later. :x
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

SolaceFiend, Socratis passed away in early 2019. He's not likely to wish to discuss this criticism at this time.

Please post your question in a new topic, we'll try to help.