Going above 256Mg Memory

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
Jonners59
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7 32-bit Home Prem

Going above 256Mg Memory

Post by Jonners59 »

I have seen the various threads and explanations on why VM is currently set at a max of 256Mb, so under no illusions that it currently, not unique to VirtualBox, is not possible and that even though heavier and more capable graphics cards, processors and RAM are being installed that the VMs do NOT use them, they only simulate in RAM and even then only a fraction - if I have understood the techno-speak I have been reading. So my suggestion, the query is, why not now look at how this capability can be capitalised on and it may not be possible to build more robust and capable VMs?

My point is that PCs/Laptops have ever-increasing amounts of grunt and the VM is not taking advantage of any of it. Many of us run apps in a VM for no more reason than the app or group of apps we want to use will not work in the host system, which in my case using a Linux (xfce) host won't even work in WINE or Crossover, PlayonLinux. Here I am talking about 3D printing and CAD tools such as CWX or Fusion360. Using the VM the Fusion complains that the Graphics is not powerful enough to run the app properly and so it is not as easy to use as it should. My VM display memory is at the max 256Mb and the available RAM on the Host is 16Gb.

So my query, request, ask, is can the VM teams look at how the VM can use more of the machine's capabilities?

There is this, VT-d_in_KVM : http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/How_to_as ... T-d_in_KVM

Also seen that VMware Player does:
https://www.vmware.com/uk/products/work ... ation.html
https://askubuntu.com/questions/943110/ ... virtualbox
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Going above 256Mg Memory

Post by mpack »

A VirtualBox VM does not have a maximum of 256MB RAM. That refers only to how much RAM is reserved for graphics. And the limit is there to stop you from wasting RAM.

I don't know what VT-d or KVM has to do with this.
Jonners59
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 7 32-bit Home Prem

Post by Jonners59 »

I am talking about Graphics. Reading the various articles the graphics, if I have this correctly, is currently provided by RAM. 256M whether ram or not for graphics is too small for many apps, as mentioned by me and many others. Given 64Gb RAM is common, 128Gb available, and even double that so why limit it to just 256M when there is many GBS at its disposal. And graphics cards also have huge amounts of grunt today, all I am asking and suggesting is if it is possible to capitalise on all this power why not, can it and how? Maybe for future development... hence why in SUGGESTIONS.

I am not unique in asking and wanting this. It is a very common query. I think and I have just started playing with it for the first time that VMWare goes up to 120Gb graphics. Though at this stage I am not 100% sure as I have only just installed it and not yet started playing.

OK, edit and update - just spent a bit more time in VMWare Worsktop Player and yes, it can go up to 120Gb subject to available RAM. Other VMWare applications ALSO do passthrough which, from what I read gives direct access to the Graphics Card also. This has been available for about 10 years so some blogs report. Thus overcoming the issues those who use CAD type apps and Gaming otherwise face in their VM. So is doable, is being done, just not by VirtualBox at this time.
Wondario

Post by Wondario »

I agree, I would like to see more VRAM.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Why?
Wondario

Post by Wondario »

To be able to run programs with higher VRAM requirements smoother.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

"Programs with higher VRAM requirements" do not exist.

The guest isn't doing the rendering, the host is, so that's where VRAM is needed. The stuff given to a guest OS is not VRAM, it's normal host RAM, and only needed as a frame buffer. Around 10 frames worth of buffering is more than enough.